Trying To Install New Dvd Burner

This is Velda's son...

I am having problems installing my new DVD burner. I have read over the instructions and followed them exactly. Upon booting my computer the first time, it booted up like normal, showed the Windows XP boot screen (with that blue loading bar and the windows logo) then it flashed that BSOD and restarted my computer by it self. It booted up to where it detects my IDE's (detected my HD and nothing else) and showed a black screen with white text stating that windows didn't start up correctly. My keyboard was not functional on this screen where it told me to select 1 or 3 options (start up now, use last working config, and some other option).

At this point, I had my new DVD burner hooked up as a slave. I had my CD-RW hooked up as a master. I also had my HD hooked up as a master. Here is a diagram:

cdmasdvdslv.png

So I thought that maybe taking the CD-RW out of the group might fix this problem. I now have my DVD burner hooked up as master, and my HD hooked up as master. Here is another diagram:

dvdmasnoslv.png

This still boots my system, but only to where it detects my IDE devices. It only detects my HD, nothing else. I get a "Boot Disc Error" and it tells me to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart my system. Only to bring me back to this screen upon restart.

So in short, I am stuck. Either I get the BSOD, or an error. I have hooked up the DVD burner following the instructions exactly, and by making it a master. Nothing is working.

My system is WinXP SP2, 512 MB Ram, 181 GB HD with 110 GB free, nVidia graphics card (5200 I think). If you need any other system information, just ask. I am not to sure what to include.

The DVD burner is I/O Magic internal DVD+/-RW +/-R with lightscribe. My system meets and execedes all the system requirements.

I think this is all the information you might need? If you need more, please ask. I really want this burner working :). Thanks for ANY help or suggestions you can provide!

Try powering it down and setting the DVD burner as Master and CD burner as Slave. With the PC powered down unplug it and move the Cmos jumper to the clear position and remove the battery for awhile. After a few minutes wait put the battery back in and move the jumper back to it's original position. Plug the PC back in and start it up booting into the Bios. Check that all drives are set to be automatically recognized and that they are seen. Save and exit the Bios (usually F10).

Try powering it down and setting the DVD burner as Master and CD burner as Slave. With the PC powered down unplug it and move the Cmos jumper to the clear position and remove the battery for awhile. After a few minutes wait put the battery back in and move the jumper back to it's original position. Plug the PC back in and start it up booting into the Bios. Check that all drives are set to be automatically recognized and that they are seen. Save and exit the Bios (usually F10).

I have done everything you suggested, but nothing was detected, not even the HD. I looked in the BIOS, and there was a setting that auto detected the HD. I did that, but nothing saying it was/wasn't detected showed up. I know it wasn't detected beacuse it didn't say it was in the BIOS, or when I booted my computer (2 master, and 2 slave both said NONE).

So I set my entire computer back up in the original configuration with the CD burner as master, and CD reader (which I am not going to use if this new DVD burner will be functional) as slave. I booted my computer, nothing gets detected, and I can't even auto detect them in the BIOS. Its like they aren't even connected because my computer doesn't see them. I am frustrated with this problem, because I am afraid I will end up losing all the information on my HD. I don't want that to happen :(.

My DIM speed (I have no clue what it is) was originally 400. Now it is down to 266. Not sure if that is of any use?

Do you have any other suggestions to even get my computer working again? I think of myself as fairly tech savvy, so I am sure I would beable to understand any instructions (after all, if I can't I just google it). I know you guys are great, and we can get this worked out :thumbsup:!

Thanks for your help :).

EDIT: Oh, also now my computer freezes when it starts up. I get to the screen where it detects the IDE's, it detects my HD (sometimes... I have rebooted 4 times, it detected it twice) finds nothing for the other IDE, and then freezes. I can't even use my keyboard at all, which means I can't get into the BIOS.

EDIT 2: Alrighty, the keyboard works now. It's just realllly slow at bringing up the BIOS :P.

Edited by velda

Check to see if the hard drive is set as first boot device in the Bios. Also if the keyboard is now functioning try Last known good configuration. Make sure you placed the IDE cable the right side up and that the cable is good.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
Check to see if the hard drive is set as first boot device in the Bios. Also if the keyboard is now functioning try Last known good configuration. Make sure you placed the IDE cable the right side up and that the cable is good.

Yay, that made it get past the IDE detection (even tho it now doesn't detect my HD). Now it is looking for DHCP.

These are my boots in BIOS:

First: Harddrive

Second: CD-ROM

Third: LAN

Do you normally boot to your LAN? If not disable third boot device. Recheck your IDE cables and make sure they are on correctly. Is this a home built PC or something such as a Dell?

I have no clue what the original settings were. They are all reverted back to their default settings (pretty sure that removing the battery and clearing the CMOS did that). So I am not to sure if I was ever booting my LAN. I will disable it, and see what happens.

Also, this isn't a custom built PC. It is one I bought from a store. It isn't dell tho (I hate dell :P). I don't mind if I can't get the DVD burner working yet, I just want to beable to use my PC again :(. I am using IE on my moms computer... it's horrible lol.

I will go disable botting from LAN, and edit this post with the result :). btw, thank you so much for helping me out here.

EDIT: I disabled booting my LAN, and no changes happened. It still searched for DHCP. So I also disabled booting my CD-ROM, so ONLY my harddrive is looked for... also made no difference. I looked thru my BIOS, and the auto detection for my HD doesn't detect it. I know the cords are fine, because it WAS detecting the HD earlier.

The thing that started all this was replacing my CD Reader with my DVD burner. I know the same cords were used, and the slave/master/CS Mode piece is set to slave just like the CD Reader was. Its as if I just replaced one with the other; same setup. Thats when I came to you guys for help.

Edited by velda

Detach your DVD and CD drives; you're just going to see if the HDD boots.

1. Ensure that you have the HDD jumpers set to "Master", that the HDD is attached to the end of the IDE ribbon, and that the IDE ribbon is inserted into IDE_1 on the motherboard (assuming that your only other IDE port is IDE_2).

2. Turn on the PC and enter the BIOS. Apply the setting "BIOS Defaults" (or whatever wording is there) and reboot.

3. Enter the BIOS again; enter the HDD detection area to see if your drive is being detected. Ensure that your HDD is set to "Auto". Reboot.

4. Enter the BIOS again and set your boot priority to start with your HDD. Reboot and see if Windows loads.

BTW - Do you know what make/model of motherboard you have?

Falcon1986's Post Here

Yay!!!! That worked :D:D! Thank you *sigh of relief* my HD is okay lol. So, now I am able to boot my computer, works fine. Gets all the way to the desktop, and things are functional.

Now, mind helping me get my drives working :wacko:. I am wanting to use my DVD burner, and my CD burner. Would someone mind walking me thru the setup to get them working? What needs to be slave, what needs to be master. BIOS settings. Anything that will make them functional -__-.

EDIT: I am not sure what make/model my motherboard is >_>. I know the Nerds on Site guy had to replace it about 3 weeks ago. So it is brand new. It came with some Nvidia chip he had to replace also. Sorry I couldn't get this information for you. Is there a way to check? I looked on my motherboard and didn't see any names >_>.

Edited by velda

Falcon1986's Post Here

Yay!!!! That worked :D:D! Thank you *sigh of relief* my HD is okay lol. So, now I am able to boot my computer, works fine. Gets all the way to the desktop, and things are functional.

Now, mind helping me get my drives working :wacko:. I am wanting to use my DVD burner, and my CD burner. Would someone mind walking me thru the setup to get them working? What needs to be slave, what needs to be master. BIOS settings. Anything that will make them functional -__-.

EDIT: I am not sure what make/model my motherboard is >_>. I know the Nerds on Site guy had to replace it about 3 weeks ago. So it is brand new. It came with some Nvidia chip he had to replace also. Sorry I couldn't get this information for you. Is there a way to check? I looked on my motherboard and didn't see any names >_>.

Good for you! :thumbsup:

The reason I asked what motherboard you had was just for research reasons, ie. maybe others with the same motherboard are experiencing the same problem that they have found solutions to.

Anyway, at least the hard drive boots.

Now, dealing with your DVD drive.

1. Shut down the PC. If the DVD drive has any jumper settings (can't remember if they do), set it to "Master". Attach it to the end of an IDE ribbon (not the same ribbon that had the HDD) which is itself plugged into IDE_2 on the motherboard. Insert the power connector for the DVD drive.

2. Turn on the PC and immediately enter the BIOS. Enter the drive setup screen and see if any device is being detected for your "Optical CD/DVD Drives". Make sure that it is set to "Auto Detect" (if it is "Disabled" you should "Enable" it then set it to "Auto Detect"). Apply BIOS changes and reboot.

3. Enter the BIOS again and set your boot priority. You may want to set your DVD drive to your second boot device. [This step can be skipped, but don't meddle with any other settings!] Apply BIOS changes and reboot.

4. Boot into Windows and to see if your DVD drive is being detected by Windows (check My Computer's devices).

*To add your CD drive follow the same steps as above with one exception: attach the CD drive to the same IDE ribbon as the DVD drive BUT in the second port (set jumper settings to "Slave" if there is any).

If you plan on using the DVD burner the most make it Master and plug the end of the IDE cable into it. The cable has to go 0on in a certain way. If it is a flat cable you will see a red stripe on one edge. This red stripe neeeds to face the 4-pin power supply connector. Set the CD burner as Slave and plug it in to the middle of the cable, red stripe facing the power plug. Make sure the IDE cable connectors plug in exactly. You should see a nob on the connector that lines up with a notch in the drive.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
Enter the drive setup screen and see if any device is being detected for your "Optical CD/DVD Drives". Make sure that it is set to "Auto Detect" (if it is "Disabled" you should "Enable" it then set it to "Auto Detect"). Apply BIOS changes and reboot.

I have went through all the screens in my BIOS and I don't have any for drive setups >_>. Here are the ones I have:

bios6.jpg

bios7.jpg

bios1.jpg

bios7.jpg

That's it right there. I wasn't sure about the wording.

I see that you have "NONE" in all of your IDE Channels. Your HDD should have been listed under "IDE Channel 0 Master". If you connected your DVD drive as I explained in my previous post you should see something under "IDE Channel 1 Master". Select it and see if you can set it to "Auto".

When you make changes in your Bios are you pressing F10 to exit and save the changes? If it isn't saving oyur changes then the battery may be going dead. Highlight each of the Master and Slave of IDE0 and IDE1 by using your down arrow key then hit Enter. You should have the option to Auto detect on all 4. That's the way my Award Bios is setup. Make sure you press F10 after making all of the changes, select Y and press Enter.

Okay, here is everything I have done since my HD started booting again:

HD loads; going good :thumbsup:.

So I try to get the DVD burner working. I hook up one end of the IDE cable to my motherboard into slot IDE2. I hook the other end up into my DVD burner. Then I put the power cable into the back also.

I start up my system, and go right into the BIOS. HD isn't being detected (altho it was before I had the DVD Burner hooked up). All 4 IDE Channels are set to Auto detect. I go into the first one, press enter, and a screen comes up that says it is looking for my HD. However, it does not find it.

I always press F10 after each change to make sure it is saved.

My DVD Burner is set to Master.

I really have no idea what is wrong :(. I have a feeling it may be the cord like you guys say :unsure:. I will have to go out and get one of those tomorrow when the stores open again.

Thank you for all your help guys, you are awesome. I will have to suffice with no disk drives for now, and just work with my harddrive.

Thank you ^_^.