I just bought a 1gb 2.0 kingston usb flash drive. It says on the package it is compatible with 98se, 2000, xp. It specifically says it is not compatible with ME. I have never heard of such a thing, why would it say that?

As to 98 first edition, will it work if I install drivers?

I just bought a 1gb 2.0 kingston usb flash drive. It says on the package it is compatible with 98se, 2000, xp. It specifically says it is not compatible with ME. I have never heard of such a thing, why would it say that?

As to 98 first edition, will it work if I install drivers?

I'm doubtful on Windows 98 - it may work with the drivers

ME will work for sure - it's pretty much Windows 98SE with built in driver support - most things that are 98SE compatible are also for ME

I just went to Kingston's site and all of their flash drives are supported in Win98SE/ME/2K/XP. They are not supported in Win95/98FE/NT (non USB supported OSes).

That sounds more like it - considering ME is like 98SE's updated clone

I just went to Kingston's site and all of their flash drives are supported in Win98SE/ME/2K/XP. They are not supported in Win95/98FE/NT (non USB supported OSes).

That sounds more like it - considering ME is like 98SE's updated clone

all flash drives will work with winme...98 if you load the drivers...nt doesn't have usb support. I do have a file that gives nt4.0 usb support and the flash should work then. if I had access to my nt4.0 machine I would try that to be sure.

My best sence tells me the drive should work just fine in ME. I do not understand why on the pachaging it specifcally says ME is not supported. That is why I thouhjgt that was strnge.

To compare ME to 98SE is an atrosity. ME was a half backed OS that M$ id trying yo forget about. ME was ment to be a home version of Win 2000.

Preston

My best sence tells me the drive should work just fine in ME. I do not understand why on the pachaging it specifcally says ME is not supported. That is why I thouhjgt that was strnge.

To compare ME to 98SE is an atrosity. ME was a half backed OS that M$ id trying yo forget about. ME was ment to be a home version of Win 2000.

Preston

Sorry Terrorist - I didn't mean to compare 98SE to ME as far as quality (I hate ME, the ONLY benefit of ME over 98SE that I've ever noticed is increased driver support) My connection to the two OS's was ME being intended to be an upgrade of 98. How's your progress in XP coming along anyways?

Preston

Sorry Terrorist - I didn't mean to compare 98SE to ME as far as quality (I hate ME, the ONLY benefit of ME over 98SE that I've ever noticed is increased driver support) My connection to the two OS's was ME being intended to be an upgrade of 98. How's your progress in XP coming along anyways?

That was rhema7 dissing ME. I personally never had a problem with ME on any computer that I owned with it installed from the factory. I did prefer 98SE over ME though. I have XP running quite well, knock on wood. I had a couple of minor problems within the first few days but that was due to bad installs of software. I tried to force them to go where I wanted and XP took exception to this. I figured out the quirk and System Restore saved my butt. I created custom restore points for each move I made just in case this happened. XP is not as forgiving like 98SE. :thumbsup: