I recently finished a project (to sum it up short it is and LED lit up monitor stand) and I want to be able to turn off the power to the certain USB port that it's plugged into.

Is there a way to control USB ports independently (through a software interface)? The one is plugged into the motherboard if that means anything.

Thanks

I recently finished a project (to sum it up short it is and LED lit up monitor stand) and I want to be able to turn off the power to the certain USB port that it's plugged into.

Is there a way to control USB ports independently (through a software interface)? The one is plugged into the motherboard if that means anything.

Thanks

Just use a powered USB hub and plug it into that . When you want it off, unplug the transformer; or put it on a switch.

Thanks

Just use a powered USB hub and plug it into that . When you want it off, unplug the transformer; or put it on a switch.

My goal is to disable power through the computer - I don't want to unplug it every time I want to turn it off.

I'm pretty sure the power's hardwired, so no software control would be possible. It'd be possible to dig in there, find the power line to that single port, and add the necessary hardware (though I'm at a loss to figure out how to place it under software control).

I'm pretty sure the power's hardwired, so no software control would be possible. It'd be possible to dig in there, find the power line to that single port, and add the necessary hardware (though I'm at a loss to figure out how to place it under software control).

That's what I figured - I'll just unplug it!

You know, this would be a very good idea to add to computers: Individual control over ports and accessories via software controls. For example, you can use Power options to turn off the monitor and hard drive, why not be allowed to choose any powered hardware at all?

I have an add-on hard drive, can't turn it off via power options. I have a lit mousepad, can't turn it off. My stereo has more options to control hardware than my computer, that makes no sense.

You know, this would be a very good idea to add to computers: Individual control over ports and accessories via software controls. For example, you can use Power options to turn off the monitor and hard drive, why not be allowed to choose any powered hardware at all?

I have an add-on hard drive, can't turn it off via power options. I have a lit mousepad, can't turn it off. My stereo has more options to control hardware than my computer, that makes no sense.

I hear ya - maybe on Vista (95% of me doubts it)