Yo and hello. I was pointed this way by someone over at the A-Squared forums so here I am.

First of all, since I'm sure you'll ask, I'm running Windows XP Professional with 256MB of RAM. I'm using SP1 (explanation to follow) and I have to stress that I have had no problems whatsoever with this setup for the past three years. I always updated my computer when updates come up but have had no luck installing SP2. (I always get "Access Denied" notice, even when I am logged into the Administrator account, so I've since given up on THAT headache!)

Like I said, everything has been running smoothly ever since I got the computer until a few days ago. I went to open Photoshop, and it alerted me that it could not initiliaze; not enough RAM. This was the first time I'd ever seen the notice before, so of course I did what I normally do when something goes wrong - I panicked.

Since then, I have downloaded a program someone recommended called MemTurbo to monitor my RAM usage, and right now at this very moment it is at a scary 56MB. My computer is lagging every few minutes, and I have no idea what exactly is wrong. I have run Lavasoft Adware (latest updates), AVG Antivirus (latest updates) and Spybot S&D (latest updates) in both safe and normal mode. I've had people look at my HJT log, but nothing there really was a problem. :unsure:

So yes. Me = terrified. I'm a student so I can't exactly afford a RAM upgrade, especially since this is the only time it has happened.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Vikitty,

Welcome. It was me that pointed you to this site.

As I checked in a2 with your HJT LOG there is nothing there that would point out there is malware.

So now I would have to assume its software. I have been told that software like MemTurbo can cause hogging of you memory (taking up your ram).

What I would need to do is ask you to right click on your task bar (right at the top where the start button is) and click on Task Manager>proccess's

Please have a look for any thing useing loads of CPU time, this is excluding 'System Idel Proccess'.

Also have you tried use Photoshop since then?

Edited by Tony

That's great, Vikitty! If you could PM Jimras with your solution, I betcha he'd appreciate it, he's had an awful time attempting SP2!

OK, Ram problem, Photoshop, no answers here, just butting in to congratulate the SP2 accomplishment and welcome Vikitty to BT's! I know, I know, "Liz, stick with the topic, will'ya??" :D Ram problem, Photoshop!!

Liz

are you running FF and paint while trying to open photoshop? Also I've always heard Photoshop was a memory hog anyway. You may just want to scrounge up a buck or 2 for some ram. You can get 512MB of PQI Power memory for like 40 bucks off of newegg.com.

I don't think it's vanishing I think it's just getting used up. Have you installed anything recently? Even then 512MB would keep you runnin good. If you were runnin fine up until now on 256 addin 512 ought to make your system stretch it's legs out big time.

Edited by Honda_Boy

still I don't recomend trying to run PS with 256MB anyway. I highly suggest an upgrade. There is dell at my school with 256MB of RAM but has a 3GHz P4 with HT and it doesn't have a whole lot of stuff runnin on it (mostly cause I cleared it all out) yet it is still the slowest computer I have ever delt with. My old 233MHz K6 Compaq with 32MB of ram and integrated everything responds faster (Win98SE) than that dell piece of crap (WinXP Pro SP2) in opening IE. Of course I could be exagerating but my old athlon XP 2000+ system with 256MB of definately responds faster (Win2KPro Origianlly then Changed to Win98SE due to complications and absence of 2K install disc)

You have to take into account both Windows XP and PS are memory hogs. The more ram you have the better. It's like 3 Dead Troll in a Baggie say "think of the biggest number you can think of then multiply it by 8. that's how much RAM you need"

You seem to have a lot of programs that are not needed starting up. I would try disabling those, and see if it helps at all.

Such as? I'm a little clueless here; I don't want to disable anything that my computer needs.

Yeah Photoshop is a memory hog but it's always run fine even with my 256. Well, if I get this RAM upgrade it'll run even faster, hopefully~

task2es8rc.gif

The ones highlighted are definatly not needed. But then again its really personal opinion, but you should look into them and see if you use them at all. If not see how they are starting up and disable them.

task2es8rc.gif

The ones highlighted are definatly not needed. But then again its really personal opinion, but you should look into them and see if you use them at all. If not see how they are starting up and disable them.

Ipod ,Itunes, monitor.exe, yes if you dont' use them alot.

Setpoint.exeand KAHLMNPR.EXE are debateable.

Those are not critical entries, however they are part of the mouse/keyboard software for your computer. Just so you know.

I use photoshop and Illustrator as part of my job and I would have to agree you have far to little ram. While PS in itself would run happy with 256mb ram you also have Windows and many other components wanting to use that available RAM while 2gig would be over kill 512mb would be putting a bandaid on it. 1gig if you can handle would be optimal to function smoothly. This would push your performace to a level that you would wonder why you ever thought 256 was optimal. More ram is the best advice. Also if you use PS alot I would suggest a second Harddrive

(Nothing fancy or large I used an old 2gig for years) to use as primary scratch disk this improves PS performance esspecially when using filters.

on another note we are trading in our old Dell 1.8 ghz P4 (40g hdds 1g ram) at work. we will now have Dell Deul 19" flat panel monitors, Dell 3.6ghz P4s

2gigs RAM. 2x 80 gig Hdds 256mb nvidia GPU (exact model and specs not known just general) I just got the email that our CEO sign the PO and we took pocession of 30 system yesterday. I'm excited and wanted to tell someone.

Preston

Edited by rhema7