Problems Installing Windows 2000

Hey all,

I'm having problems installing any version of Windows on a Compaq Presario 5240, which is (not original HD or RAM). When I try install 2000, in the formatting part of the installation, I get a BSOD. This BSOD says STOP 0x0000007F (0x0000000D,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000) UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP .

If any of you have any idea of whats causing this, or how to fix it, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me.

Thanks,

Joe (UK)

Edited by computerjoe
This Stop message, also known as Stop 0x7F, means that one of two types of problems occurred in kernel-mode, either a kind of condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or catch (a bound trap), or a kind of error that is always fatal. Occasionally, this message can be caused by software problems, but the most common cause is hardware failure.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...hd_exe_jadf.asp

Oh good:

0x0000000D - An exception not covered by some other exception; a protection fault that pertains to access violations for applications.

It's a General Protection Fault. The are at least 31 causes (really, I counted) of GPFs ranging from RAM bursting into flames to pointing an SSE instruction at the wrong place. It's the magical super-exception that does everything except produce useful diagnostics. If swapping RAM doesn't work it'll be easy to think of other solutions because it could be caused by anything. A blank blue screen would have been almost as useful.

Edited by jcl