Leave Computer On 24/7?

Okay, I've got my system set to turn off the monitor and hard drive in 1 hour after being idle.

The only problem is now I've got a bright blue nightlight (plus the four green lights on the fan controller) lighting up the family room at night. At least now my dog has a nightlight (of course if you knew of my led posts over in modding you'd know she has had led's strapped onto her collar :))

hi all this discussion on leaving your compt on

\is raging at g4

and pete_c has an excellent post on the reasons

for both sides of the coin

i would have loved to copy and paste it here

but i wouldnt do that without

petes permission may be he will post it here

if any one is interested look for a post leave your

compt on

and the poster is bumbles

hi this the thread link

shut down vs. hibernation by bumbles

marty

Edited by martymas

I leave my 2 computers on 24/7 as well. I can't remember when I turned off my laptop, which usually sits in the lliving as my jukebox. As for my desktop I only shut it off on the weekends when I'm not around just because last time I left it on, my roommate decided to use it computer and all hell broke loose(on the computer, not between him and I). Lets just say he is in college and went to a lot of questionable sites and he downloads everything that pops up("What? I won a contest? All I have to do is download this program to claim my prize? Sweet!").

The only problem I ever had was that I burnt out my video card on my desktop, but the fan stopped working about 10 months before so I knew it was coming.

I usually shut mine down at night. If it is on, I tend ot want to keep checking things. Then I never get any sleep.

WAY true. "OK, just gonna check the mail before I go to bed ... " Four hours later ....

bed??? what's that?

[me]"Hi honey sleep well"

[her]"you were up all nite again weren't you?"

[me]"umm, not exactly, I did take a little cat nap on the keyboard"

[her]"Great, another keyboard we have to replace"

[me]"at least I slept" :blush:

[her] walks away mumbling under her breath and shaking her head "I had to marry a geek and let him have access to the home computer."

[me]doghouse again