Ok for months my dell DVD/CD-ROM,CD Burner, Floppy Drive will not work so I took the CD-ROM drive out, and put it on my computer it works so I put it back in the dell and put my xp cd in the CD-ROM drive it read the xp cd so I restated the computer when window started up the cd drive wont work so I went to the device manager and my cd drive had a (!) next to it how can I fix this?

make sure the IDE cables are connected to the motherboard correctly, maybe try another IDE cable , also does windows still show the drives when you open up My Computer. I mean like It says D:, E:, A:, etc?

make sure the IDE cables are connected to the motherboard correctly, maybe try another IDE cable , also does windows still show the drives when you open up My Computer. I mean like It says D:, E:, A:, etc?

DEA!!! Where?! :ph34r:

HAHAHAHAHAHA - took me like 5 times to get it!

yeah it sounds like it isn't detecting them properly. did this start when the new cable was put in or was the new cable put in to correct it?

In the past I've tested the CD Drive my hooking it up on the same cable (temporarily) with the hard drive - this eliminates the possibility of just the actual drive from being bad