Mysql, Thinderbird

I currently have outlook installed on my laptop. I use this for my business contacts, reminders, and email client. My main reason for using outlook was to learn. I figured it would be good to know the program, since I would be diagnosing and fixing peoples computers that have it installed.

Here is my problem. everytime I want to send a business email, or look up a contact, I need to do it from my laptop. This way it keeps all of my emails and contacts in one spot(laptop).

Here is what I would like to do. Set up a mysql server on one of my computers that is on all of the time. I would then like to switch to thunderbird(away from outlook) on all of my computers, both linux and windows. Ideally I could use thundrbird from any of my computers, but have all of my data in one place, which would be the mysql server. Can this be done?

edit added later//

for some crazy reason, I thought thunderbird was more full featured like outlook. I mean I thouhgt it kept business contacts and also had a calander and could set appointments. I would still like to use thunderbird as a cross platform way to keep all of my emails together(on a server)

edit again//

I found the place to add contacts to thunderbird. As far as I can tell, you are not able to make a todo list, or other calender related stuff

Edited by shanenin

Yeah, thunderbird is not as full featured as Outlook. Suse used to ship with Evolution which is a full-featured client. Maybe you can find an evolution download somewhere.

You could always upload all of your Outlook contacts from your laptop to your Gmail account and have gmail notify you or forward your mail. That's not probably what you want. I've never done it, but, maybe set-up your e-mail clients for IMAP; have all e-mail in one place and not downloaded to your different computers. Maybe your ISP will allow you to set-up your e-mail clients for IMAP.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I use evolution, It even connects to my works exchange server I can send you a how to

I do not have an exchange server. That is why I need a client that runs on both windows and linux, that can use a common database. I am probably just dreaming :-) After some googling, it does not apear thunderbird works with any database(like mysql)

Thanks guys, imap seems to be what I need. I am not really sure how it works. Is the following correct. I would download all of my messages from my godaddy account using pop3(I think that is all they offer) to my imap server. Once they are in my imap server I could use any imap capable client to access them.

qmail with courier-imap

gentoo how-to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/qmail-howto.xml

for other linux distro or to answer more questions..

http://www.qmailrocks.org/

does an imap server need to work in conjunction with a mail server?

sorry can't help it..

IMAP

A standard protocol for accessing e-mail from a local server.

Also called: Internet Messaging Access Protocol

does an imap server need to work in conjunction with a mail server?

sorry can't help it..

IMAP

A standard protocol for accessing e-mail from a local server.

Also called: Internet Messaging Access Protocol

Thats ok, I need to be told to RTFM on occasion :-)

local server must be referring to an email server, so yes they need to work together.