My boss gave me an old program (5 disc set on electric properties and such)

It's very old - intended for windows 3.1, or "95 or better"

After installing the program and intending to run I get

Exception EInOut Error in module ELECT132.EXE at 0003522C

File access denied

I'm assuming the issue is the program being intended for an old machine - is there anything i can do?

Try this

Open Explorer and find the .exe program that you are having trouble with

right click on the .exe program and choose properties. Click on the tab for

compatibility and click the box to run the program in compatibility mode.

Then choose Windows 95 and then click on "OK"

Then try to run it. Hopefully, this will help!

jr

Edited by jimras

on the old 3.1 they didn't generally use the shortcut likes they do on XP. on 95 they had just started working with the shourtcut systems like XP so a lot of the programs still worked like 3.1 on windows. the shortcut PIF was associated with the exe more directly then the Icons on xp are now.

on the old 3.1 they didn't generally use the shortcut likes they do on XP. on 95 they had just started working with the shourtcut systems like XP so a lot of the programs still worked like 3.1 on windows. the shortcut PIF was associated with the exe more directly then the Icons on xp are now.

Makes sense

I'm just pissed that I couldn't run it from cd images that i burnt with alcohol 120%

It has to use the D drive to search for the CD, and my virtual drive is my F

I've already burnt the 5 CD's so I'm not really interested in learning how to fix it

Most older programs don't run on XP because of their DOS routines.

DOS programs try to access levels of the OS that XP just doesn't allow access to, for security/stability reasons. That's one reason why program crashes in XP don't crash the entire system like it used to in 95/98 days, XP just doesn't allow that type of low-level access to programs anymore.

Sometimes compatibility mode will run most aspects of older programs, but the really older ones usually fail to run at all in XP.