Hey guys

Iv found i get have a packet loss problem wich seems to be afflicting me. I had to move my wireless router upstairs one floor and there is no way I can bring it down for other reasons. Is there any cheap way you guys know of to help with this packet loss problem. I my signal quality is almost never Excellent either, its normally one or 2 bars down from max. Im guessing i need to focus the signal to my antenna somehow. A cantenna will not fit so thats out of the question. Im considering buying a stronger wi fi card but that wont be for a few months. Im just looking for a temporary fix till then. It really messes with me when I play counter strike.

Thanks!

Hey guys

Iv found i get have a packet loss problem wich seems to be afflicting me. I had to move my wireless router upstairs one floor and there is no way I can bring it down for other reasons. Is there any cheap way you guys know of to help with this packet loss problem. I my signal quality is almost never Excellent either, its normally one or 2 bars down from max. Im guessing i need to focus the signal to my antenna somehow. A cantenna will not fit so thats out of the question. Im considering buying a stronger wi fi card but that wont be for a few months. Im just looking for a temporary fix till then. It really messes with me when I play counter strike.

Thanks!

What kind of router is this? I know that with a Linksys you can change the 2.4 settings to different ones that are still 2.4xx and it worked for me. If I remember right it comes defaulted as #6 which is 2.442GHz. It can be changed from 2.417 to 2.467 easily. Open up your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 and enter or go. Then leave the user name box blank and click on password. It is admin unless you have change it or the user. Then go to Wireless/Basic Wireless Settings and change it there. At the bottom of the page click on Save Settings. It will make you loose connection and the page will go blank with a window that says something about 8 seconds. You can keep trying this till you get something that works. You can also try moving the antenna to different positions. The other router manufactures may also have the same option.

Myself I would go and have a very long Ethernet Cable made and run it where ever you could (Hidden), they are very cheap these days...

Cheaper than the alternatives...

Did a 150-footer at one of the last places I lived and never worried about the signal strength...

Well that wouldnt work. Its across the entire house and upstaires. I cant have a cable running the entire length. I just talked to a friend and he said he got another wi fi router and is using it as a bridge. Would that be possible for me. I use a 2WIRE router/DSL modem. Yea it comes built in one. Only one ethernet port too wich is already being used. If you guys know of a way to make a wireless router into a bridge that would be best for me because I got a laptop wich might benifit from a direct connection as well. I think my friend was using a belkin router.