Can Not View Thumbnails In W98se (fixed!)

In My Docs-view-thumbnails the few pics I have there all show as thumbnails.

For some reason I have lost the ability to view pictures as thumbnails in my sub folders, which I

had before.

The sub folders in My Docs where I have several folders of family pictures will not give me

the thumbnail option in View.

I have googled this and have tried everything that you normally do, like right click folder or inside folder,

go to property and click on enable thumbnails. I close out and reboot and make sure sub folder is set to view as

web page, but there is still no thumbnail in view.

I think I am missing something in the registry, but have not found anything yet that works.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It works for me. Hope this helps somebody else. I put instructions at the bottom of post.

Edited by tman70

Did you try?

Thumbnails in Windows Explorer:

In addition to Web View, Windows98 includes a little known feature which makes it easy to preview images from Explorer. This is known as Thumbnail View.

To enable Thumbnail View, right-click a folder and choose Properties. Place a checkmark in the “Enable thumbnail view” box and click OK. Next, double-click the folder to open it. Click the view menu and choose Thumbnail (below “as Web Page”).

You will now see a thumbnail preview of all graphics files in that folder.

Did you try?

Thumbnails in Windows Explorer:

In addition to Web View, Windows98 includes a little known feature which makes it easy to preview images from Explorer. This is known as Thumbnail View.

To enable Thumbnail View, right-click a folder and choose Properties. Place a checkmark in the “Enable thumbnail view†box and click OK. Next, double-click the folder to open it. Click the view menu and choose Thumbnail (below “as Web Pageâ€).

You will now see a thumbnail preview of all graphics files in that folder.

Thanks TT7_5

I had done that. It still will not put thumbnail option in View.

I even did a MS search and copied a new set of Pictures to a temp folder, deleteed the old folder and renamed

the temp to the original name, followed the above directions, but still no option in the view dropdown. I have followed every direction I can find, but still can not get it to work.

Any help here?

Thanks sethook

As I explained above that was one of the things I tried.

I have searched Google and Microsoft and have tried all the options I have found, but so far nothing works.

I have made a backup of my registry and have tried about three registry fixes for putting the Thumbnail option in the View Option. But they did not work either, so I have used the backup to revert my registry back to orginal settings.

I have the Tumbnail option in View when I open "My Documents Folder", but not for any of my picture folders within "My Documents".

I think I am missing a setting in the registry or I have a corrupt file although SCF does not show any bad files.

Windows '9x is known for 'losing' settings (due to registry, well, not corruption, but mismanagement maybe?). I think it's due to built-in limitations for "remembering" things (memory and/or storage limits).

If you haven't done so yet, set ALL the folders to one setting (that is, after selecting your settings, use View menu, Folder Options, View tab, Like Current Folder button). You might even try using the Reset All Folders button on the View tab to eliminate all the registry Tomfoolery that's accumulated, then make your selections and apply them across the board.

Edited by JDoors
Windows '9x is known for 'losing' settings (due to registry, well, not corruption, but mismanagement maybe?). I think it's due to built-in limitations for "remembering" things (memory and/or storage limits).

If you haven't done so yet, set ALL the folders to one setting (that is, after selecting your settings, use View menu, Folder Options, View tab, Like Current Folder button). You might even try using the Reset All Folders button on the View tab to eliminate all the registry Tomfoolery that's accumulated, then make your selections and apply them across the board.

Thanks JDoors

Did what you said and set all my picture folders to "enable thumbnail view".

I then opened windows options, view tab and clicked "Like current folder" buttons and then rebooted as sometimes windows 98se will not make changes until a reboot. Still nothing. I went back and clicked the "reset all folders" buttton and rebooted.

Still no thumbnail option in view.

Since it is working in the Main Folder, but not in the sub folders, it has to be a registry glich---right?

I'm gonna hafta go with Terrorist, use another way to view thumbnails. That is, give up on Explorer. Not only is '9x infamous for it's instabilities, it's getting old. Any newer programs you have installed almost certainly do not take '9x into account. Oh, they may have been tested with '9x, they may run in '9x, but they may also make registry (or other) changes that have unexpected side-effects, odd little ones possibly like the one you're currently experiencing.

Even making undocumented or advanced changes in '9x may wind up creating those unintended side-effects. I can't recall exact examples but say you change the amount of memory allowed for the display of icons, you might unintentionally disable the display of something entirely unrelated. Trying to track this stuff down is a nightmare.

Then there's the issue of memory use; newer programs may not take '9x's limitations into account. They'll suck up large chunks of resources, forcing Windows to "forget" some things to make room for the newer program's requests.

In other words, it's just not worth your time to force '9x to work the way you expect any more. Adapt. Find another way. :(

You really have to work at tweaking 98SE to get it to behave and handle programs easily. I have spent close to 30 hours so far getting my new install functioning the way I like it. It may take me several more hours before I am done, but in the end it will be a rock stable install. You need to know what you're doing within the registry to really make it work. If you mess up it usually means starting back to step 1. After June 30th this year you will no longer be able to download any updates for 98/ME. If you are smart and still want to use it install 98 or ME to a spare drive without manufacturers drivers and get all of the updates. Use this drive for an image backup. You can then use Ghost or Acronis True Image to restore your PC later. I plan on switching to WinXP Pro as soon as they come out with a stable release of SP3.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
You really have to work at tweaking 98SE to get it to behave and handle programs easily. I have spent close to 30 hours so far getting my new install functioning the way I like it. It may take me several more hours before I am done, but in the end it will be a rock stable install. You need to know what you're doing within the registry to really make it work. If you mess up it usually means starting back to step 1. After June 30th this year you will no longer be able to download any updates for 98/ME. If you are smart and still want to use it install 98 or ME to a spare drive without manufacturers drivers and get all of the updates. Use this drive for an image backup. You can then use Ghost or Acronis True Image to restore your PC later. I plan on switching to WinXP Pro as soon as they come out with a stable release of SP3.

JDoors and TT_75 thanks for the input. I thought what both of you have said might be part of my problem.

I just had a slight problem that was just bugging me and was wondering if I could find an answer. Since I am disabled I have nothing to do except play around with my computer. I used to tinker with cars, back when all you needed was a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Now you have to have too many degrees before you can even open the hood.

I have been thinking of updating but I will have to wait until I can find something I can afford.

I only paid about $30 for this Dell Millennia from E-Bay a year ago, so maybe I can find something better on E-Bay again.

I do have the W98se CD and have all my setting and updates cloned to another HD and have used it to restore eveything back to what it was when I have messed up the registry. Like the other day.

Oh well, nothing ventured--nothing gained.

Actually the car analogy works well here. At some point the time, energy and money spent keeping an old one going can't be justified except as a hobby. An expensive, time consuming hobby. Sometimes to keep one going you have to adapt -- Parts are no longer available so you use something similar in its place ... or just something that'll work. Occasionally you have to learn to live with the broken stuff. There's nothing inherently wrong with sticking by the ol' girl, but sometimes you have to learn to live with some compromises.

I could go on ... :rolleyes:

Actually the car analogy works well here. At some point the time, energy and money spent keeping an old one going can't be justified except as a hobby. An expensive, time consuming hobby. Sometimes to keep one going you have to adapt -- Parts are no longer available so you use something similar in its place ... or just something that'll work. Occasionally you have to learn to live with the broken stuff. There's nothing inherently wrong with sticking by the ol' girl, but sometimes you have to learn to live with some compromises.

I could go on ... :rolleyes:

I finally found the settings that I needed to get the thumbnail to show in all My Picture folders and all sub folders.

First you have to open the folder, right click a blank spot and click properties and make sure the "enable thumbnails and archive boxes are checked and read only box is unchecked". All files transfered from a cd will be read only, so they must be unchecked. Do this for all folders and sub folders containing pictures.

Then follow these steps. If you cannot use "Customize this folder" check properties to be sure "read only" is unchecked.

Graphic Thumbnail Preview in Windows 98 (IE5)

By default Windows 98 (IE5) doesn't display thumbnail images of a selected graphics file in Windows Explorer. It is possible to turn on thumbnail view for all images, but in Web view it's also possible to see a thumbnail to the left of the files list.

To enable the thumbnail image you need to edit the folder HTML (.htt) file, as follows:

* Using Explorer browse to the folder where you store your image files.

* Right-click in the files pane and select Customize this folder... from the pop-up menu.

* From the three choices select Create or edit an HTML document and click Next.

* Click Next again.

* NotePad will open with the default HTML configuration file. Select Search|Find...

* Type wantmedia into the Find what box and then click the Find Next button.

* The line: var wantMedia = false; // cool, but may hinder media file manipulation will be selected. Change the word false to read true. Make sure you don't delete the semi-colon following the word!

* Select File|Save

* Select File|Exit

* Click Finish on the Customize this folder... dialog.

* Make sure the folder you just customised is set to Web View (use the folder view icon).

* Select a graphics file (*.jpg, *.gif, *.avi, etc.) and it should be displayed to the left of the file list.

If the "wantmedia is already set to "true" but you have no thumbnails, follow above instructions again and

Select File|Save

Select File|Exit

Click Finish on the Customize this folder... dialog.

This should re-enable it.