First Time Using Linux

I'm typing this from my new Linux box :D, anyway I have just instaled Ubuntu 5.10 and was wondering I have a swap partion at 500 mbs, a root at 2.4 GBs thats the partion Ubuntu is on (I think) and I have about 17.5 gbs free.

Where do I go to see my 17.5 GB free space? and if I download a file i.e macromedia and I double click it it wont install (yes, its for linux) also how can I get a my computer icon on the desktop so I can see all infos and see my drives i.e HDD, cdrom, floppy etc... like in XP?

I'm typing this from my new Linux box :D, anyway I have just instaled Ubuntu 5.10 and was wondering I have a swap partion at 500 mbs, a root at 2.4 GBs thats the partion Ubuntu is on (I think) and I have about 17.5 gbs free.

Where do I go to see my 17.5 GB free space? and if I download a file i.e macromedia and I double click it it wont install (yes, its for linux) also how can I get a my computer icon on the desktop so I can see all infos and see my drives i.e HDD, cdrom, floppy etc... like in XP?

Hi Mike,

For Macromedia Flash.....I'm assuming.......you need to install that on the command line. Click on Accessories----------->Terminal.

Navigate to your download directory.......for example cd Desktop then type ls to display the contents of your download directory.

To untar the flash file type: tar -xzvf (filename).tar.gz then hit enter on your keyboard

navigate to the install directory: see instructions: install flash

Install flash.......if you get stuck......post back here:-)

ok, I have the ./flashplayer-installer on my desktop so what would I type at the begining? ./dev/hda1/ ??

Hi Mike,

After you've untarred the download with tar -xzvf and you've navigated to the install directory called : install_flash_player_7_linux

then type: ./flashplayer-installer...................follow the prompts and you'll install flash:-) Just hit enter:-) Post back here, we'll help if you get stuck.

The desktop is usually a directory in your home directory. open up a terminal and type the command "ls"(without quotes). This will list the contents of your directory

below is what mine looks like

shane@mainbox ~ $ ls
Desktop avi bones dog garpass leo2.py samba sshkey.pub usb
attachment.php bin cds freevo leo python sshkey test

notice the directory called Desktop, that is where your installer is. you can change to the directory by using the "cd" command, that means change directory;

shane@mainbox ~ $ cd Desktop
shane@mainbox ~/Desktop $ ls

if you type the "ls" command, it should show you your installer.

Edited by shanenin