Microsoft Word Not Responding

Ok I have an Emachine T2895 with Windows XP Home Edition and it's about a year old. I have no idea how it got glitched. When I try to work with Microsoft Word, it would pop up like it should but then it would disappear. I try and have it appear again by clicking on it but it just doesn't work. I have the same problem with my MSN Messanger. Again I click on it to load but it appears and then disappears. I have no idea what to do. Does my computer need a cleaning or does it have some glitch? I'm just really confused and frustrated because I need Microsoft Word for my homework and things. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Please if you do know, email me. I would be glad to hear any possible ways on fixing this problem.

-frustrated student

My bro (away at college) had a similir issue with word and excel

Instead of walking him through virus/spyware removal if that was the problem I just adviced a backup and reload.

Turns out the problem came back right after he installed Norton Antivirus - are you running Norton?