I have been using hamachi to do remote access, it works great. The cool thing is you do not have to open any ports for it to work. Their is both a windows and a linux port. You can use it to safely use ssh, vnc, simple windows file sharing(remotely).

you should listen to this podcast

http://media.grc.com/sn/SN-018.mp3

here is the link to the program

http://hamachi.cc

Disclaimer: networking is my weak point, so some of the following info may be wrong; this is my understanding.

The hamachi program just creates a private network between 2 to 14 people. It creates its own network interface, this can be seen using ipconfig(windows), or ifconfig(linux). It assignes this new interface an ip that is something like 5.18. 200.143. It purposely uses an ipaddress starting with "5.". This is so it will not interfere with an other already used ip. Once this private secure network is created, it mimics a fully isolated local network. This private network is similar to being connected through a router, but completlely isolated(very safe) from everyone else. Once the network is easily created you can use all of the normal ways of communicating between your local network.

1. you can use simple windows file sharing between any computers you would like. Since this network is fully isolated, it is safe to share files with any other computer you would like.

2. you can share you desktop remotely using either windows remote desktop or vpn. Since you router does not open any ports, this is very secure.

3. Using ssh you can now cummunicate to any of you linux computers safely. Since you do not have to forward port 22 it is very secure. This is as simple as

ssh 5.18.152.221

4. The coolest part is you can now safely export NFS shares over the internet. I juust added this line to my /ext/exports file

# /etc/exports: NFS file systems being exported.  See exports(5).
/mnt/media 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash)
/mnt/media 5.18.152.221(rw,no_root_squash)

now I can safely access my NFS share from anywhere in the world using this mount command

mount -t nfs 5.18.152.221:/mnt/media /mnt/nfs

5. You can also use vpn from anywhere in the world to view and control your linux desktop

Edited by shanenin