Dog Food Poisoning And Killing Dogs

I saw this on the news the other night.

Do read this multiple page article if you have a dog!!! Tell everyone you know that has dogs. Our news said this information still isn't getting out to everyone, or even to the vets who treat the deathly ill dogs.

Toxic dog food killing dogs

I sure would hate to lose a pet from something I fed it.

By the way this is real not a hoax!!! Just in case you are doubting it is happening, try Googling it to see how many articles and heartbreaking news stories are there.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

We feed our dog Science Diet Senior Light (she's 8 and has and doesn't get to romp outside much) and we feed the cat Special Kitty (I she lives outside and I still can't figure out how she gets fat). I've never even heard of Diamond. I wouldn't want anything to happen to my beloved pets. They are like members of the family. Heck we call em mine and my brother's sisters.

I heard about this on the news! How awful! Here a creature that is totally dependent on their "human pet's" food supply and ends up sick.

I did read in the newspaper that Diamond dog food is mostly sold in "Farm Supply Stores", and usually not in grocery stores, but I did check Sandydog's gums when I heard of this (they're healthy pink, phew!)

Symptoms include white/pale gums, lethargic behavior (Ok, with a Lab, I know, how could you tell? they're always lethargic) and lack of appetite (which again, with a Lab, that NEVER happens)

Hoping that every BT members "forever 4 year old child" is spared from this terrible mistake.

Thanks for spreading the word, Pat

Liz

I am so sorry that there are so many dogs sick and dying from this aflatoxin in the dog food.

Actually I just found the website of the company, thanks to Google.

Their Cat food also has a problem.

The site has a map of U.S. showing which states have the problem food. And it lists the symptoms.

Also all the various brand names of the problem Dog and Cat food.

Be sure and read the Jan 12th press release on the left side of page. It appears to be from the corn in the food, which is what I suspected was doing it.

This year's corn problem makes me wonder how safe any other brand of pet food is, or human food too for that matter.

I worked in a cannery many years ago, and saw the terrible smut fungus on the corn that year and wondered how it could be safe to eat. We just were told to cut off the bad parts, and it would be ok, it took me a few years to be able to like eating corn again. But all grains, peanuts, and other nuts can have serious problems with these type of molds/fungus things that can be deadly. For instance, you might have heard of

St Vitas Dance (I think that is the name of the disease), it is a neurological problem caused by spoiled barley with smut/aflatoxin that destroys the nerves and eventually kills the patient. Eastern Europe especially, lost many people to it, because of harvesting wet barley and storing it where the stuff continued to grow in the damp grain.

Diamond Pet Food Recall

Complete information can be found at www.diamondpet.com, or by calling the Diamond Pet Foods Customer Information Center toll-free at 1-866-214-6945.

I heard or read that they would pay for the vet bills, but do not find that on the website I linked to.

The more I think of this corn problem, the more I wonder about the other brands of pet food being safe from the problem. Glad I have plenty of cat food on hand, purchased in the spring. If I had to buy more, I think I would call the company of product I give her and ask a lot of questions before the purchase.

This whole thing just breaks my heart about the suffering of the poor animals, and the grief of the families losing their pets, plus the expense to try to save them.

Pat

God bless everyone.