Wtf Happened To My Internet Speed

its slower and i tried the sbc yahoo dsl test twice and got like 100- 300 kbs

now before i had 1.7 mbps on a 3mbps connection and i havent changed connection

is it cause of me sharing internet with another laptop or the wireless router?

Yes if they too are using the internet at the same time as you.

If they are not, then run your computer for virus and trjoan checks, quite a lot of program hacks are actually sneaky ways of getting into your pc, but im sure youd know that.

If that doesnt show up anything, disconnect your pc, use the laptop, if that too is slow,

Then make sure your wireless is secured.

If it is, try different sites, most sites usualy cant upload that fast anyways, and 1.7mpbs isnt like being nailed to the cross in terms of the pain you suffer from not having the full 3mbps is it...

Pierce

1. Are you using network encryption? Sometimes encryption slows down the speed between the PC and the AP.

2. Are you using P2P apps on any/both of these PCs? P2P apps not only can take up bandwidth from downloading, but even when idle they are still vigorously sending data in and out so the connection stays alive and so your searches will yield more results.

3. When was the last time you power-cycled your AP/router/modem? I occasionally do this after using P2P applications because somehow my WRT54G v2 (firmware 4.20.7) can't handle BitTorrent downloads for a very long time. Also this gives your AP/router/modem a chance to rest and renew/release any info.

1. Are you using network encryption? Sometimes encryption slows down the speed between the PC and the AP.

2. Are you using P2P apps on any/both of these PCs? P2P apps not only can take up bandwidth from downloading, but even when idle they are still vigorously sending data in and out so the connection stays alive and so your searches will yield more results.

3. When was the last time you power-cycled your AP/router/modem? I occasionally do this after using P2P applications because somehow my WRT54G v2 (firmware 4.20.7) can't handle BitTorrent downloads for a very long time. Also this gives your AP/router/modem a chance to rest and renew/release any info.

how do i powercycle my router and modem? k now i did a test and my sis is using the internet thios time and i got 1.5 mpbs which is normal

Edited by REMIX_23