Strange Happenings On Computer Upgrade

I recently upgraded my PC. I needed a faster processor, so I got a new motherboard and memory to go with it. Also, while I was at it, I found a good computer case and DVD/RW to go with it. Okay, I got a new computer, pretty much. The new items are listed below:

ATRIX CSCI-C8002-A1 Beige SECC steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Silent Power Supply - Retail

ASUS V9520-X/TD/128 Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM

pqi POWER Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model MD4412UOE

ECS 760GX-M Socket 754 SiS 760 GX Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Sempron 64 2500+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor Model SDA2500BXBOX - Retail

LITE-ON Beige IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Beige OEM - OEM

First thing I did was re-install WinXP Pro on the hard drive, as a repair, not a fully new install. I then updated it (since it is pre SP2, it took a while). Everything I had was still installed, and the old regestry was still there, but now it would actually run since everything around it had changed.

I also went to the ECS website and got an update for the BIOS. After flashing it, I was all set.

Once that was done, everything was fine. Then my sound started having problems. I plugged some headphones into the front port of the case, and was happy that it turned the speakers off when I did, so I wouldn't have to turn them down manually. Well, when done with the headphones, I unplugged them, and the speakers would only play on the left side. Actually flashing the BIOS wound up fixing it, until the next time I plugged it into the front. Eventually, they cut out altogether, so I flashed the BIOS again, and it worked on the left side again. Left is better than nothing.

I have ordered a new sound card to try and fix the problem. In the meantime, I found an older SoundBlaster sound card that I thought would do the trick. I installed it, disabled the old drivers, and viola, it worked. Until today. It's back to it's old lefty tricks again.

On top of that, I have had explorer.exe lock up on me several times. It is usually when I am right clicking on something to check it's properties. I always try to fix it by stopping the explorer, which usually restarts itself when you do. But it doesn't. I have to reboot from the task manager for it to work again.

The big question is, do I have a software or a hardware problem? Currently, I am running the following programs:

avast! Free Home 4.0

Firefox 1.5 (sometimes Opera)

MS Office XP (Word, Outlook, Excel mostly)

Spyware Guard and SpywareBlaster

Yahoo and MSN IMs

Real, WMP, and Winamp

And tons more I won't list now.

Thanks ahead of time for looking at this. I can do a HiJack This log if needed.