Help Setting Up A Home Network

Okay, in about a week I will have my new computer running and I would like to have it networked to my older computer. The old one will be in the basement (directly connected to my Linksys router) while the new one will be upstairs (still in it's range with a PCI Wireless Card)

I would like to be able to send files from computer to computer (mainly downloading files from the internet off the old one, and sending them to the new) and to be able to print from both computers (I planned on connecting the printer to the new computer)

Would their be any additional hardware needed for the setup I want?

Thanks in advance!

What printer do you have? You can buy a USB or Parrallel port print server which will connect most printers to the router instead of the computer so you do not have to have both computers on to print from one. If you have not bought one yet, see my review of the HP photosmart 2610 I recently bought.

http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5779

One of these new network ready machines is definitely the way to go.

(although I do like the canon BJC2100 I bought for my wife some years back since it only costs $1.00 for two black ink cartridges or one color - polaroid ink tanks at that - now that it is considered old and obsolete. I wish my lexmark ink would come down too - it really is my favorite printer even though I haven't used it in ages due to the ink price.).

I don't plan on investing in a new printer, we recently purchased a HP 4-in-1 multi everything printer, but it won't be an issue because the newer computer will almost always be on.

I know how to set up Workgroup and Computer Names, but how do setup a folder where it will be accesible to both computers, and where would this folder show up (I'm assuming under My Network Places?)

In XP, once File and Printer Sharing is enabled, right-click the folder and select Sharing.

If you have "Use simple file sharing" enabled in Folder Options (View tab, bottom of the list)...

Under "Network sharing and security" enable "Share this folder on the network".

Change the "Share name" if you don't like what it defaults to.

Enable "Allow network users to change my files" if you want that.

Click OK (or Apply then OK).

Now the folder should show up in My Network Places.

Sometimes it won't though.

If it doesn't show up, click "View workgroup computers" in the "Network Tasks" pane.

Open the computer with the shared folder and see if it's listed.

If it is, open My Network Places as a second window and drag the folder there (it will create a shortcut, not move the file).