Does anyone here have any thoughts about the Compaq Presario SR1620nx?

I bought one for my SO for Christmas.

It comes with XP Home, a DVD R/RW burner (dual layer too), ATI 200 Express onboard video, onboard sound, 6 in 1 card reader, onboard 10/100 lan card, 160 gig HDD, 512mb DDR Ram (upgradable to 4gig)

The only thing that bothers me is the CPU. It's a AMD Sempron 3400+. Clock speed is 2 gHz.

I did a lot of research and most of the reviews were quite good. A large part of this was due to the fact that AMD supposedly brought the L2 cache back up to 256. The former model 3300+ was only 128 L2 cache.

But the box that it came in says 128 L2 cache.

I did a few benchmark tests and get mixed results. Belarc states it has 256, but PC Pitstop says 128.

Other than that it seems like a decent PC. Even has an available PCI Express slot.

The person I bought it for currently has a Dell Dimension L series Pentium 3 running a illegit copy of XP Pro.

So I figured this would be a big improvement. The price was only $399 after a $50 rebate at Fry's.

She dosen't do any gaming at all. Just Office stuff and web.

Any thoughts?

Joe

OK.

I took the Compaq out of the box last night after my sweetie went to bed.

Started it up, all was good. Except the HD sounded like a lawnmower.

Then I read some of the threads here about the hidden Windoze partition and saw that I also had that problem.

I packed it up and am going to return it to Fry's tomorrow.

Seemed like a decent system, but it still was a Compaq.

Today I went over to a "local" PC shop and bought anAMD Athlon 64 PC with a 80 gig Sata HDD, 512 DDR Ram, CDRW/DVD drive, card reader, Windoze Home WITH a full install CD, and all the usual goodies.

Only problem is that the person at the shop opened up a case of a floor model and said" everything here is in yours".

Well, I got home and checked. No PCI Express video card as he promised, (it's onboard) although there is an empty slot. Also the computer he showed me had a full size MB with 5 PCI slots. Mine only has 2.

So, back to the store tomorrow.

Joe :angry2:

your dedication to getting your SO a decent machine is to be commended..joe

stick to your guns with the local pc shop...

btw...i've "owned" about 6 compaq's in my day...and after each one i swore it was the last...lol

i finally broke out of that habit...Medion puts a nice fairly priced packaged out there if you can find them...and their CS was excellent.. :thumbsup:

Edited by screi
OK.

I took the Compaq out of the box last night after my sweetie went to bed.

Started it up, all was good. Except the HD sounded like a lawnmower.

Then I read some of the threads here about the hidden Windoze partition and saw that I also had that problem.

I packed it up and am going to return it to Fry's tomorrow.

Seemed like a decent system, but it still was a Compaq.

Today I went over to a "local" PC shop and bought anAMD Athlon 64 PC with a 80 gig Sata HDD, 512 DDR Ram, CDRW/DVD drive, card reader, Windoze Home WITH a full install CD, and all the usual goodies.

Only problem is that the person at the shop opened up a case of a floor model and said" everything here is in yours".

Well, I got home and checked. No PCI Express video card as he promised, (it's onboard) although there is an empty slot. Also the computer he showed me had a full size MB with 5 PCI slots. Mine only has 2.

So, back to the store tomorrow.

Joe :angry2:

I took the local built Athlon back last night. They acknowleged that indeed was not the same system they showed me and said they would put the proper MB and the PCI Express card back in. The excuse was something like "Oh, the main store decided to change it a little due to the fact that we are now giving a "free" Epson printer away with it". (Actually it was never offered to me and I don't want it anyway. $90 out the door and then the rebate game.)

So I'm going back to the store now to pick up the hopefully complete PC.

We'll see.

Joe