Hello Members! In a month or so I'll be getting 400.00 and just was wondering on what should I do in upgrading my computer. My system is pretty new and I'm just stumpped on what to upgrade. My specs are in my sig. First I thought I should upgrade my processor from athlon64 1.8 to a athlon64fx or x2 chip or keep my 1.8GHz and get OCZ dual ram PC3200 512x2 kit. Then thought maybe get a better Graphics card. ATI is alright but I think Nvidia is better cause with this card I have now the X700 radeon plays halflife2 like crap as my old computer with a nvidia GeForce 5200fx played halflife greatly. I hope this make sence as I'm not good in my grammer lol so forgive me. What do you all think what would be a great upgrade for my computer? What I would like to know if this was your computer what changes would you do to it?

Thanks for all of your opinions & help :)

Sceeter32

Edited by sceeter32

Now, I'm a hardware noob, sceeter, but if you're having trouble playing some games, I would go for the new video card, too. Besides, I've read about some people having just horrible problems with their computers (as in "it just doesn't work!!") and it ended up being a faulty video card. Those things must be pretty fussy...

Now I can't imagine those things costing $400 (they don't do they?!?) but you might also want to think of something educational (I know, ugh, hear me out) or fun that you can do with the computer, like perhaps buying a digital camera or a video camera or video editing software, or a "midi whatever it's called" to compose music. It looks like a pretty fancy machine, see what creative things you can do with it! ;)

Liz

Edited by blim
Now, I'm a hardware noob, sceeter, but if you're having trouble playing some games, I would go for the new video card, too. Besides, I've read about some people having just horrible problems with their computers (as in "it just doesn't work!!") and it ended up being a faulty video card. Those things must be pretty fussy...

Now I can't imagine those things costing $400 (they don't do they?!?) but you might also want to think of something educational (I know, ugh, hear me out) or fun that you can do with the computer, like perhaps buying a digital camera or a video camera or video editing software, or a "midi whatever it's called" to compose music. It looks like a pretty fancy machine, see what creative things you can do with it! ;)

Liz

Thanls Liz for your input It's really helpful and will keep your thoughts in mind.

Sceeter32

I wouldnt add anything to it. IMO you should wait untill your computer actually needs to be upgraded before spending any money. Itll be MUCH more satisfying a year from now when the $400 will give a much better boost in performance. Right now that's a pretty good computer, and to upgrade the CPU or Video Card your looking at alot of money down the drain.

Edited by Bubba Bob

Really, if you have to upgrade, the video card might be the best bet, unless you have fixed your problems with updated drivers.

But if you really need to spend that $400 on your computer, and don't have a 19" LCD monitor yet, what are you waiting for? You can find a really good one for ~$300. Then if you don't have a nice keyboard and mouse, find yourself a nice set with the restof your money. Or, just blow it all on new games.

Like someone said above though, your computer is fine as is. Wait until it starts getting old, or you will be throwing bad money after good.

But if you really need to spend that $400 on your computer, and don't have a 19" LCD monitor yet, what are you waiting for? You can find a really good one for ~$300. Then if you don't have a nice keyboard and mouse, find yourself a nice set with the restof your money. Or, just blow it all on new games.

Heh, I agree.

Ya, there's really no need to go spending your $$$ right now, b ut I think if you do, the 19" flat monitor and wireless KB & mouse would be the way to go.

I bought a 20" Acer flat LCD monitor 6 months ago, and it's the best $425 Canadian $$ I ever spent!

I absolutely LOVE having this big screen, plus I bought an articulating support arm that clamps to the desk, and I can move the monitor around as I please...that is so cool. I can turn it, flip it, raise and lower it, move it in, out, up down, sideways, upside down, vertically & horizontally...anything I want.

The arm is pretty expensive ($125 at Future Shop) but well worth having a monitor I can adjust perfectly for whatever position I'm in.

The other things, wireless KB and mouse, I have a Logitech KB and an optical trackball, which I also just love. I can be perfectly comfy now without cords that are too short or just in the way. I often put the KB & mouse on the back of my lazy-boy recliner that I use for my chair, and stand up to do this, and with my new monitor and arm, I can easily adjust that to suit also.

In other words...I have spent $$$ to provide myself with the ability to be absolutely comfortable while I do this, in any position.

Ya, there's really no need to go spending your $$$ right now, b ut I think if you do, the 19" flat monitor and wireless KB & mouse would be the way to go.

I bought a 20" Acer flat LCD monitor 6 months ago, and it's the best $425 Canadian $$ I ever spent!

I absolutely LOVE having this big screen, plus I bought an articulating support arm that clamps to the desk, and I can move the monitor around as I please...that is so cool. I can turn it, flip it, raise and lower it, move it in, out, up down, sideways, upside down, vertically & horizontally...anything I want.

The arm is pretty expensive ($125 at Future Shop) but well worth having a monitor I can adjust perfectly for whatever position I'm in.

The other things, wireless KB and mouse, I have a Logitech KB and an optical trackball, which I also just love. I can be perfectly comfy now without cords that are too short or just in the way. I often put the KB & mouse on the back of my lazy-boy recliner that I use for my chair, and stand up to do this, and with my new monitor and arm, I can easily adjust that to suit also.

In other words...I have spent $$$ to provide myself with the ability to be absolutely comfortable while I do this, in any position.

20 inch lcd sounds great as I only have a Samsung 712n 17" LCD monitor, and a 20" would make my moitor very small lookin lol. I have a logitech cordless keyboard and mouse already which I love "No Wirers" I'll check out that monitor too. Thanks for the idea chappy!

Sceeter32

I really can't relate to folks with extra money and have to ask how to spend it. I'd say save it for that rainy day or when you're out on your own.

Yep..

Technology is pretty much a *No Win Situation*... *You'll Never Catch Up*, but you'll spend Every Penny you got Trying...

Put it in the Bank and make a tiny bit of interest on it or something... Save it for When You Really Need It...