Cd/cd-rw Not Working Properly

Hello all,

I did a reformat a while back and my cd-rom/cd-rw is not working properly. When I put in a regular music CD that I burned a while back on the same computer, it will sometimes read it and sometimes it wont. So I try it over and over again until it will finally play, but the songs skip. Its pretty much the same thing with other different CD's such as data and pc games I have to retry and retry untill it finally reads the CD. I also cannot burn any thing to any kind of CD. I have a sony CRX215E5 cd-rom and cd-rw burner. I have replaced the IDE cable, and have gotten a laser disc cleaner but it still wont work.

Note that while I was doing the reformat, I deleted my systems recovery (which is Compaq) and all other partitions. Also I was having trouble while doing the XP install from my Xp Home Editon CD. I had to retry and retry until the CD finally coppied the data to the harddrive. Is there anything I can do to save this drive?!?

first and foremost - try a cd drive cleaning kit.

have you tried getting a sony-specific cd driver?

Thanks for the reply,

I will buy a cd drive cleaning kit when I visit an electronics store next time, although I doubt cleaning it even more will make it work. As for the sony specific driver, I have searched through driverguide.com and I have not found any specific driver for my crx215E5 but I have seen drivers for all sony models. But it needs to boot something from a floppy diskette, and it gets rather complicated. You think doing this will resolve my issue?

• 1 month later...

Yea I tried to burn a Cd-DVD-RW Cd (The best i think) Because it was huge and I could erase and all but my Cd player wasnt able to do it? Its a DVD/CD-RW But I think it needs a Dvd-Rw? Or something I dont know.. THis laptops preety new It should work :(

Anyone know anything about it?

• 2 weeks later...

StealthG,

There is a possibility that your lenses in the cd drive are out of alignment. short of having it takent o a shop and serviced, which could take a few weeks, i would recommend replacing the drive. All it takes is a little bumb by something and the lenses will go out of alignment, and it won't read or write properly.

If you have another computer put it in that one and see if it works, if not then you need to replace the drive itself.