Messed Up Floppy Drive

for some reason, when i put in a floppy into my comp, it doesnt recognize it and when i click on the icon, it says "Put in a floppy and click retry" or something like that......

can someone tell me whats up??

thanks,

danny

Did you check to see that your BIOS is recognizing your floppy drive correctly?

Go into device Manager and see what that says about it working correctly or not.

I think I remember someone saying something about using a floppy cleaner one time....try that. (Floppy cleaner is a cleaning floppy very similar to that of a CD-rom cleaner.

we had the same problem,dnoppix...

before mine went totally down! :D

i got the problem for a few months they just a month ago,my floppy drive stopped working for good.

i have yet to buy a new one so im not sure if it was the drive itself that was busted.

anyway,check your BIOS as mentioned and try to clean.

unless you havent opened or moved your case i dont think you need to check the connections.otherwise,open it and be sure you IDE is secure and properly connected.

:D

yes i checked my BIOS and it said: Diskette Drive 0 seak falure.......

i think that means it's broken... and i have moved it to get to the usb connector in the back.....and i have opened it to try to put in an old HD in... my pc is crap!! and it runs on scsi but works fine...i dont think ill get a cleaner anytime soon because my mom wont pay for it....

tell me what you think,

danny

That's what I was thinking JD. Check the cables for sure. On a google search, this is what I found:

Faulty or improperly inserted diskette, incorrect configuration settings in System Setup program, loose diskette/tape drive interface cable, or loose power cable.

So basically it is the same thing everywhere.

What type of system do you have? Is it a personalized computer or pre-built? If pre-built, please post system make and model.

It is prebuilt, it is a Dell Precision 410. Soposed to have NT, but changed it to 98se. The floppy drive is hidden in the top and my mom wont let me open it up or take it apart... so i dont think the cable is loose. I will try to get the floppy cleaner

DK, did this issue by chance start after 98 was installed? When changed to 98SE, was it a complete format, or did it just get installed over NT?

That really sucks that your mom won't let you open the computer. This makes for difficult analysis.

For future reference, is there anything else your mom won't let you do on the computer so we know what can't be suggested?

It 98 was installed immediatly after it was bought, it worked for a long time, so i opened it when she wasnt here and couldnt reach into the place where the drive is. I bought the floppy cleaner, but the drive wont even work at all....

• 3 weeks later...

make sure you put the connection the right way round

its a wonder chappy hasent answered this post he is an expert on floppy drives

or at least he used to be at c.f.h

marty

have you been to device manger and tried to update the floppy driver

it may help

marty

i have the same problem, everything is fine cable connections, updated drivers, bios is recognising it, a new floppy for my home built system is 20 bucks, so I am eplaing it, I did a diagnotic program that i had lying around, don't ask me the name becasue I dont' remember right off the top of my head, it told me the disk drive was fried, which sucks since it was a new disk drive to start with. not doing anything with it right now as I am moving in 2 weeks, but where I am moving to I will have about 300 floppy dirves to check it with. I even swapped it to another computer, which was the dead giveaway that it was fried. heh, I dont' trust all my diganostic tools.