Want To Try To Edit My Keyboard Drivers

Yea my keyboard really doesnt allow me to play games alot because somewhere along the line microsoft came up with a bright idea to make the keyboard stop sending a signal if you hold down a key for too long to save battery. May sound good but try playing Battlefield 2 like that. Well my friend said he fixed a similar problem by going through his driver and editing some things. I was wondering if you guys knew of any editor or program that could read my drivers. I tried to use notepad but it was giberish. Any places you would recomend me visiting before I invetibly screw my self.

Edited by Sir_Siddy
I kinda guessed it wouldnt but I tried it anyway. You sure its the keystroke buffer? I guess Ill have to go out and buy another one.

The buffer he's referring to is a software buffer managed by the keyboard driver. It stores input from the keyboard until it's requested by an application. There is a way to increase the size of the input buffer but it involves editing the registry. And I doubt that's your problem anyway.

Edited by jcl

I'd bet you're right the keyboard is designed to stop sending keystrokes after a set period of time. A cordless board left unattended might have an object fall on it which would send keytrokes until the battery ran dry. Makes sense to prevent that type of problem with a simple timer.

To edit the driver though you'd essentially be rewriting the code. Do you know what type of code it is? Do you have programming skills? Is the code documented in any public way? Kinda unlikely.

IMO, the best way to fix your problem is to not use hardware that has built-in limitations that prevent you from using it the way you want to use it. In other words, you're using the wrong type of hardware for what you want to do. A corded keyboard wouldn't have this problem, and the cord itself would be an insignificant price to pay for troublefree gaming.

Oops!

I didn't consider the wireless keyboard factor.

It would make sense for it to stop after a key was held down to long, it would assume the keyboard was put down upside down for instance.

Perhaps there's a setting in the keyboard's options to increase the time window or disable that feature.

well my friend does have the same keyboard. He recomended it to me and hes a big gamer. I got it and found that it does this but his doesnt. He said he edited his driver or got a modded one. ( didnt remeber) Iv looked for one but couldnt find it. As for programing skills i did a little VB once. Yea i know not much. Planning on taking C++ this summer though.

Something's beginning to sound a bit fishy about his story -- that he; edited, or was it modified, or was it he found a modded driver? That he; can't or won't let you at least TRY his supposedly modified or found driver because, as you found suspicious too, the "product id" is different? Or was it he is no longer sure where to find it?

Huh?

Go over there if possible, order pizza, and while he's at the door paying for the pizza copy the file. :D

But I bet you'll find his keyboard is either entirely different or it does the same thing yours does, he just doesn't encounter the problem due to his playing style.