Harddrive Memory Wont Show Up Properly

Hey guys its been a while since I posted. My old harddrive died and I just got a new one. Its a Maxtor 250GB 6L250S0. I just installed windows on this computer and its reading that my drive only has 130 GB. Could this be a problem with my motherboard. My motherboard is a DFI Lanparty UT nf3 250 GB.

I have never had to use disk managment, I used to have a 200 gb in my system. I think I just put it in and, r-clicked, and chose format. Just curious, why does he need to do it that way?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's the drive Windows is installed on, Windows won't allow a simple format..

It is the drive windows is installed on. And anyway while installing WinXP it told me I only had 130 GB or so. My system cannot see the rest of the drive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is why you need to go to disk management and partition the rest of the drive.

XP without the service packs, cannot see the entire drive, it has a 137 GB limit.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_winxp.html

Windows XP manufactured prior to August 2002 has a native limitation of 137GB supporting ATA interface disc drives. In this configuration WinXP will not create partitions greater than 137GB until after the Service Pack is installed and registry bit EnableBigLBA is set to 1.

Thus when you partitioned it to install XP, you created one 137GB partition (which shows as 130GB after you take into account the digital/binary ratio) and the rest is unallocated space.

You will have to create a second partition.