Like 3-4 months ago my computer died on me and so i put the HD in another computer to get some important files out of my documents. When i did this, i had to alter the permissions a bit so i could gain access and i eventually got all the stuff off i needed. Well i finally got my computer fixed and put the HD back and everything's working fine except when i clikc "My Documents" it says access is denied. What do i do to fix this. I can't remember since it's been so long.

Thanks

btw, I'm using XP Home and there's no encryption set up

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q308421

Take Ownership of Your Files and Folders

Windows Explorer/Locate the file or folder in question/Right Click/Properties/Security/Advanced/Owner Tab. In the change owner box, click new owner.

[To Display the Security Tab: Start/Settings/Control Panel/Appearance & Themes/Folder Options. View/Advanced

and clear "Use Simple File Sharing".]

You can transfer ownership in two ways:

The current owner can grant the Take ownership permission to others, allowing those users to take ownership at any

time.

An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer. However, the administrator cannot transfer ownership

to others. This restriction keeps the administrator accountable.

Note: In Windows XP Professional, the Everyone group no longer includes the Anonymous Logon group.

extra info here, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm