i have an hp laptop and the cd half of the drive is toast. Just wandreing if i can replace the drive with any other combo drive or should i try to find a recomended drive for it. thanks the laptop is a pivilion fx328

Edited by pigmelt

How does half of a drive go bad? Which half is it? The top or bottom? Left or right? :)

Its generaly smarter to get he replacement or reccomended replacement part rather then just trying to match up whatever is on sale at your local Big Box store.

Laptop drives, unlike desktop optical drives are NOT one size fits all. On a desktop, almost any drive will replace whatever you have, on a laptop, not the case.

Edited by Parrotgeek7
i have an hp laptop and the cd half of the drive is toast. Just wandreing if i can replace the drive with any other combo drive or should i try to find a recomended drive for it. thanks the laptop is a pivilion fx328

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it in a removable bay, or built in?

I am pretty sure this is a non removable drive, meaning it is permanently mounted and not a hot swapable device.

Use the HP e-Diag tools in the laptop to see what the problem actually is.

When you start the laptop you see an HP logo, as soon as you see that hit the F10 key to start the diagnostic test. Then hit F2 when you see the next menu to start the e-Diag tools. It asks you what language and simple things next.

You have an option of running a basic test, but if you hit F2 again you get an advanced option menu.

I am pretty sure this is a non removable drive, meaning it is permanently mounted and not a hot swapable device.

Use the HP e-Diag tools in the laptop to see what the problem actually is.

When you start the laptop you see an HP logo, as soon as you see that hit the F10 key to start the diagnostic test. Then hit F2 when you see the next menu to start the e-Diag tools. It asks you what language and simple things next.

You have an option of running a basic test, but if you hit F2 again you get an advanced option menu.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i ran the test for the ide cd drive i put a pc world disk in the drive the test did not see the cd. it is funny that when i talked to an hp suppoet person they did not say anything about the e-diag tools. thew only thing they told me was the warrenty ran out 1 month after i bought the laptop. then said they could not help. i dont know much about laptops but with determination i got the cd drive out it is a perm mount. the part number for it is swb-081. shoul i try to find an exact replacement or will any drive that has the same shape work? thanks

How could they not know about the e-diag tools ? WOW, it is on the HP machines right at the start up

I would look for exact replacement myself. You can search that part on HP site, and also just do a google search on it too.