Critical Updates For Sp2

Finally, I have had the chance to join Besttechie and already have a question:

For years, I have followed the advice of so many of you as well as all of the news authorities and absolutely continued to keep updated with critical updates.

Yesterday the computer guy [who has done everything to my computers [building them...adding to them...replacing things, etc.] that I have been associated with and trusted since 1992 told me that he believed in having SP2 but he did not believe in getting the critical updates.

Is there anything new that has happened that I don't understand or am not aware of? I can't imagine him saying this....the explanation was that this is where hackers would choose to hack because it is the most trusted site and Norton allows it's downloads, etc., etc.[i have 2005 Int Security].

Please do not be offended that I would even listen to this advice, but I want to make sure there is not something I have missed. I've had to buy a new computer and want to do everything right, as usual.

Thanks so much to anyone who has time to comment. N

Finally, I have had the chance to join Besttechie and already have a question:

For years, I have followed the advice of so many of you as well as all of the news authorities and absolutely continued to keep updated with critical updates.

Yesterday the computer guy [who has done everything to my computers [building them...adding to them...replacing things, etc.] that I have been associated with and trusted since 1992 told me that he believed in having SP2 but he did not believe in getting the critical updates.

Is there anything new that has happened that I don't understand or am not aware of?  I can't imagine him saying this....the explanation was that this is where hackers would choose to hack because it is the most trusted site and Norton allows it's downloads, etc., etc.[i have 2005 Int Security].

Please do not be offended that I would even listen to this advice, but I want to make sure there is not something I have missed.  I've had to buy a new computer and want to do everything right, as usual.

Thanks so much to anyone who has time to comment. N

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally, I think the critical updates are more important than SP2.

I installed SP2 and quickly deleted it. Too much nonsense for me.

But I patch all the other updates as soon as they come down the pike.

No problems in two years.

Of course run the gamut of antispyware, antivirus, etc.

Is there anything new that has happened that I don't understand or am not aware of?  I can't imagine him saying this....the explanation was that this is where hackers would choose to hack because it is the most trusted site and Norton allows it's downloads, etc., etc.[i have 2005 Int Security].

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its a poor argument. Those web servers are better maintained and updated than pretty much anything on the net.

I wait a couple of days for any unintended bad side-effects. If you decide to do that protect yourself with a hardware firewall and be sure to scan often with a variety of spyware tools. A critical update is released, often too late, in reaction to a vulnerability that people have alread exploited.

BH

Is there anything new that has happened that I don't understand or am not aware of?

If so, you aren't alone.

I can't imagine him saying this....the explanation was that this is where hackers would choose to hack because it is the most trusted site and Norton allows it's downloads, etc., etc.[i have 2005 Int Security].

What, Update? He's correct. He would also be correct if he said that the Bureau of Engraving and Printing was where the counterfeiters would like to go because everyone trusts the currency it produces. Doesn't mean you should exchange your dollars for yuan. (At least not yet. Give it a few years.)

Edited by jcl

I think your computer guy stole my margarita machine and had a few too many.

(Is there a 12 step program for outdated tech advice?) :)

As vulnerable as Windows is, sp2 and the crtical updates and patches make it less so. Period. I sincerely doubt "hackers" could get access to those servers and cause a major disruption.

I have sp2 on everything and al the updates and no prroblems so far.

Am appreciating the comments so much. Just wanted to make sure. JCL...what a good point! Brian...I understand what you're saying -- makes sense. I think I am too conditioned to change my pattern anyway--would feel like I was breaking the law every day. Just wanted to check on responses to this. n

I think your computer guy stole my margarita machine and had a few too many.

(Is there a 12 step program for outdated tech advice?) :)

As vulnerable as Windows is, sp2 and the crtical updates and patches make it less so. Period. I sincerely doubt "hackers" could get access to those servers and cause a major disruption.

I have sp2 on everything and al the updates and no prroblems so far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.

Thank you all for taking your time on this topic. I am sold...and am downloading updates now.

I'm sure it was irritating to read that I was even considering the advice, but after what I just went through with the computer I am replacing [after doing all of the right things constantly...Internet Security;3 spyware programs; always updated; no downloading habits of music or anything else], hopefully you would at least semi-understand.

Thanks again! n

Just putting it in different words:

Which is more likely?;

That the MS servers would not only get hacked, and that the hackers would go unnoticed, and those hackers would write a Windows update to contain malicious code, and that that code would get installed on your machine without any problems, and then you'd have a problem?

Or by not getting a critical update you leave your system open to known vulnerabilities?

Thank you all for taking your time on this topic.  I am sold...and am downloading updates now. 

I'm sure it was irritating to read that I was even considering the advice, but after what I just went through with the computer I am replacing [after doing all of the right things constantly...Internet Security;3 spyware programs; always updated; no downloading habits of music or anything else], hopefully you would at least semi-understand.

Thanks again! n

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You won't regret getting updated. one word of advice: beware of phishing schemes microsoft does not email updates so if you get a email from M$ with a link to what appears to be a legit M$ site it is beyond a shadow of a doubt bogus. Do not even open the email just delete it.