Dell 4300 Pc Won't Boot

Got a friends Dell Dimension 4300 PC (XP HOME) and it won't boot. The PS, Ram, Monitor, Mouse, HD are all good. Either a Processor or MOBO. No beeps at all. The HD is spinning up like it is trying to boot. Can I take the HD out of this PC and put it in another PC (take out it's HD) and get some information off the HD. There are the Financial Records for the local Vol. Fire Dept. on it that they need.

Got a friends Dell Dimension 4300 PC (XP HOME) and it won't boot. The PS, Ram, Monitor, Mouse, HD are all good. Either a Processor or MOBO. No beeps at all. The HD is spinning up like it is trying to boot. Can I take the HD out of this PC and put it in another PC (take out it's HD) and get some information off the HD. There are the Financial Records for the local Vol. Fire Dept. on it that they need.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can put the drive in as a second or slave drive but not as the primary drive to boot from (unless the hardware on both pcs is damn near identical). If you slave it in, you should be able to access the data and copy it onto a new hdd.

Thanks. I have a PC that is almost the same. Will try it. If not, I will put it in the Grandkids PC and if something screws up, it won't be mine...lol

Will it give me a choice of where I want to boot to, or after it boots, just go to My Computer and choose the other drive?

Edited by MrBill
Thanks. I have a PC that is almost the same. Will try it. If not, I will put it in the Grandkids PC and if something screws up, it won't be mine...lol

Will it give me a choice of where I want to boot to, or after it boots, just go to My Computer and choose the other drive?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want to try and boot from it, the pin will have to be set as the master of the 2 drives and the other the slave. If that don't work then as Parrotgeek7 said, set the pin to slave and boot from the other to attempt to get your data. It won't give you a choice because it wasn't set up that way when the os's were loaded onto there drives.