Videos, Pics Crashing Computer....

I've been having a problem recently when opening Windows Media and Quicktime files and my computer locking up/crashing. Actually, it also happens at times when trying to view a jpeg. What happens is that my computer will change to a very low resolution and lock up. I have to restart with the power button to get things back to normal. It does not happen every time I open one of these files though. It was happening with some videos downloaded so I thought it was a corrupt file but lately I have had it happen to my own jpeg pics that I have taken as well as Windows Media movies I have created. Any help appreciated!

Dell Dimension 4600 2.66

GeForce FX 5900xt

1 gb RAM

Windows XP Home

I've been having a problem recently when opening Windows Media and Quicktime files and my computer locking up/crashing.  Actually, it also happens at times when trying to view a jpeg.  What happens is that my computer will change to a very low resolution and lock up.  I have to restart with the power button to get things back to normal.  It does not happen every time I open one of these files though.  It was happening with some videos downloaded so I thought it was a corrupt file but lately I have had it happen to my own jpeg pics that I have taken as well as Windows Media movies I have created.  Any help appreciated!

Dell Dimension 4600 2.66

GeForce FX 5900xt

1 gb RAM

Windows XP Home

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Update your video card drivers.

You may want to unplug computer, open it up and make sure that the graphics card is seated and locked down and that its fan is plugged in.

If you have any card in the PCI slot nearest to the video card, move it over .

It sounds like your video card is locking up.