At school today i was browsing through My Network places on our Dell computer (2.8ghz p4, 512 ram 40 gb hd) and this network place was a shared folder on one of the computers in the class, but when i double clicked it to open it asked for a user name and password for permission to connect to that computer i was wondering how the kid (im assuming kid its a highschool) put on the password to connect to the computer? I would like to do the same for my home network im running 13 nodes, all wifi 4 laptops the rest are servers or workstations which are also wifi. I have WPA enabled on my network its a belkin Pre N router (had to get rid of my terrible linksys WRT54G).. any ideas on how the kid did it and how i could would be appriceated thank you very much.

i was wondering how the kid (im assuming kid its a highschool) put on the password to connect to the computer?

It's normal behaviour for Windows machines that aren't using simple file sharing. If there is a share on the OS and simple file sharing is turned off it will automatically ask for credentials. There is a setting to allow the requesting machine to automatically pass current credentials, but this is turned off by default on non-domain networks.

I would like to do the same for my home network im running 13 nodes, all wifi 4 laptops the rest are servers or workstations which are also wifi.

What OSs are you using?

I have WPA enabled on my network

WLAN encryption isn't an issue here.

how do i turn on/off simple file sharing all OSs are XP home and 2 servers running xp pro and one laptop running xp pro all service packs updated and installed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't turn it off in XP Home. In XP Pro goto "tools"/"options" in an explorer window or "folder options" in control panel. On the view tab you'll find it at the very bottom.

Edited by CataclysmCow
Be very careful!! You may be violating your schools computer use policy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BIG TIME!!! If you are using a computer at school, it is written somewhere in your handbook about the use of computers, and if you don't have a password to the folders, you shouldn't be trying to access them. At work, my job for example, each of my users have to sign a "Acceptable Use Policy" that explains the limits and uses of every piece of computer equipment to information on the computers/servers. Just be very carefully to make sure that you are not commiting any actions outside of those limitations because there could be a huge consequence at the end of the tunnel...

Edited by Vile_DR