File Sharing On A Network

Greetings all,

I apologize for any dumb questions that I am about to ask. I want to share all files between computers. I have 2 computers. They both run XP home.I am on a wired router. I also run ZAP. Both computers see each other. I know I can drag and drop into the shared folder. I also know I can share files going through accessories. If I share files through accessories do I pick c drive on both computers? and can I move email between computers(rather than mailing it back to myself) The computer on the first floor is the main computer. I mainly use the computer in the basement when wife is on (upstairs) The computer upstairs has many more programs on it. Thanks for any input.

Pat

You should be able to share any file on the two machines. All you need to do is to right click on the file and select properties. Then on the sharing tab just tell it to share the folder on the network, should be a check box. Then you may need to give the file a "shared name" to be accessed by on the network. All subfiles of the shared file are also shared this way. I would advise against sharing the C: drive in it's entirety for security reasons, just in case. As to copying e-mail manually, shure it can be done all you need to know is the location where the file is stored and that will depend on your e-mail client.

The computer on the first floor is the main computer. I mainly use the computer in the basement when wife is on (upstairs) The computer upstairs has many more programs on it. Thanks for any input.

1) You will not be able to use the programs on pc#1 unless they are also on pc#2. You don't share programs that way, just data. Unless you have a NOS and networkable programs that part isn't going to happen.

(Think of it this way. in an office, all the people share the same word docs that are stored on a central server, but each workstation still has its own version of Word installed. The documents they work with are on the server, but the programs are local to each machine)

2) As far as email goes, You can share your .pst file but you will need to point your machines local e-mail program to that networked file for it to function, not the local machine.

(search for .pst or whatever file extention your email program uses, its normally in a hiden system file)

c>documents and settings>user name>local settings>application data>microsoft>outlook>.pst file folder

Edited by Parrotgeek7