I'm using a linksys WRT54GS with spedbooster router. I have done several things so far to make my home network secure. This is what I have done so far.

1. I have a unique name for my network, changed from the default one.

2. I have filtered my Mac addresses, permitting just the Mac addresses I have.

3. SSID, I hid this so it can't be seen by others

4. WPA, set and very difficult passsword

5. Last, I changed the router password.

My question, I heard I should clone/spoof my MAC Address also. I just can't seem to figure this out, can anyone assist me in doing this? I'm also looking for any else I can do to make my network as secure as possible.

What is a port? and how do I find this?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Gateway

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~1795 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. GB85010A.15A.0046.P13.0108201551, 8/20/2001

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 641.16 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 1.91 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

to clone/spoof your MAC address go into your setup page for the router

it is almost always in the advanced settings

but you are far more secure than most really, and nothing you can do will keep you totally secure on wireless anyway

your settings almost border paranoid really ;) I think you are more than safe, but is there a reason for so much security ? top secret documents or something ;)

I'm using a linksys WRT54GS with spedbooster router. I have done several things so far to make my home network secure. This is what I have done so far.

My question, I heard I should clone/spoof my MAC Address also. I just can't seem to figure this out, can anyone assist me in doing this? I'm also looking for any else I can do to make my network as secure as possible.

Page File Space 1.91 GB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#'s 1, 4 and 5 should be all you need to achieve a secure network with that router. So far WPA has not been cracked.

#2 and #3 are pointless and are not any type of security measure. Your SSID is broadcast in every packet you send and recieve so whats the point of hiding the network? (security thru obscurity?)

and you can see how easily you can spoof a MAC addres, anyone with an ounce of brains could do the exact same thing.

Your passwords and encryption are what you need for protection, not the other useless crap.

Numbers 1, 2, and 3 aren't actually useful security measures. Number 2 generally turns out to be more a nuisance than a help. Number 1 is nothing more than cosmetic. You've done a pretty reasonable level of access restriction for a home wireless network, I wouldn't worry about it too much now.

-uberpenguin

Edited by uberpenguin

Page File Space 1.91 GB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems to me that I saw this exact question answered by CC on G4. I may not always like the way CC responds and havn't always agreed with him, but when it comes to networking, you are wasting your time and others looking for second opinions on 2 web sites. He knows more about networking than anyone I've seen in either site.

prybar=zammer

Edited by Tootsdog9
Your SSID is broadcast in every packet you send and recieve so whats the point of hiding the network?

It's not every packet. The SSID is only included in management frames related to finding and associating with APs (probe request, probe response, association, reassociation and of course beacons). On a typical home network these packets are actually pretty rare. You only see them as a client comes online, times out or if there's a lot of interference. It can take hours/days to sniff out out of these packets on a small home network.

The reason why it's so vulnerable is that you can force one of these management frames to be generated by forging a disassociation frame which causes the client to reassociate giving you the SSID pretty much at request. Also a lot of APs only remove the SSID from beacon frames when SSID-Broadcast is turned off. They sometimes still respond to what are called *ANY* probe requests. This means that you can generate a probe request asks that the AP responds no matter what the SSID may be. This is essentially like just walking up to the AP and asking it what the SSID is.

Disabling SSID-Broadcast also does nothing to stop someone from listening to your traffic. I might need the SSID to associate with the AP, but I can sit there all day and watch you browse the web, send email, chat online, etc. without needing your SSID.

As I said over on G4 and agreeing with what's previously been said here -- only #4 is neccessary. If you don't have remote administration turned on and you trust the people in your house then #5 isn't neccessary and the rest are just pure junk.

Edited by CataclysmCow