Having Issues Reinstallin Xp Home

Can't get machinr to boot from reinstall cd that came with the sys. Have BIOS set for boot from cd. Got a floppy set from M$. Was getting an error, I think it was a bad floppy. Now I get to finish the floppies and asked to install, repair or quit the damn system hangs...no keyboard. Changed keyboard from usb to ps2 it appears to be going fine. Just a heads up for others.

M

Noooooo! I have a Dell 4550 :( (we need a "wailing" smiley)

Fortunately this machine behaves *kisses the monitor and pats its side, good boy* but....

So, I'm trying to translate what you wrote, Mike. Did the reinstall CDs that came with it not work?

You thought the MS Floppies were bad, did you get new ones? Did you have to buy them or did MS send them to you?

"Changed keyboard from usb to ps2" What does this mean?

Dish up the dirt when you have some time, so I can write it down in the Dell notebook :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Liz

Edited by blim

Machine would not boot from cd when it was told to.

Had a bad floppy disk. Made another set with different floppies, all went ok.

Had a usb keyboard, replaced usb keyboard with a ps2 (round plug) keyboard.

Everything is up and running.

Drove like a wildman to the customer to get rid of that machine. lol

Was having a bad day earlier, could not think very clearly.

Sorry if I added to your confusion Liz. If you need I can take your machine for a walk and have a heart to cpu talk with it so it will keep on the right path.

M

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Tomorrow when it is daylight out and easier to see, I'm tracing the plug from the monitor to make sure it is a round one (no...I don't know, of course, I don't know!!!! ;) )

And Mike, of course you can take the Dell for a happywalk :) Anything to make sure it doesn't become possessed!!!!

Liz

Can't use the latest and greatest on a version of an OS that is 3or4 years old.

You can't use most usb devices on sytems that require special drivers for the device (like some keyboards and mice), the age of the OS really has nothing to do with it.

I have seen old Compaqs that came with usb mice work straight off when using their 98 recovery disks.