Fax.msi Error Problem At Windows Start Up

I just put in a PCI ethernet card into a brand new HP computer for a friend. He got wacked by lightning at his house bad and it came through the cable and fried the cable modem > ethernet cable > and onboard ethernet port.

I then took off a load of crap that came on the HP he will never use (AOL and all sorts of crap trials). I then put on Office XP Pro too and Avast anitvirus (took off the crap Norton trial).

Now every time I start the computer it comes up and Windows is configuring the Fax service. It is looking for a file called "fax.msi".

I can't find this on this machine or any disks (these are just non MS programs anyway ~ This new HP has no restore CDs at all, apparently it is somewhere saved on one of the partitions)

So he has a real dedicated fax machine anyway, so I went into Add/Remove > Windows Setup and unchecked the Fax. I went into the Admin Tools > Services and disabled Fax in there too.

I reboot and this damn thing keeps popping up to try to configure the fax as soon as Windows starts up ...... WTH can I do now to stop this insanity.

I have searched around on search engines and nothing comes up other than these few things I tried. Lasty there is NO system restore point on this since is only like a week old too !

The fax setup is part of Outlook in MS office. Go thru the outlook setup and setup either a bogus fax nmber  and user or cancel it out.

You may need to uninstall office then reinstall it and choose custom install, run all from my computer and deselect the fax portion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn all these years of using Office and I didnt know it was in there too ! :blink:

So when I put in my own original XP Home CD no wonder I couldnt find crap, never would have thought to stick the Office CD in ..................

thanks Rico, will let you know tomorrow how it goes

not very often mike is not able to fix something.

ive used mine for some time

i had to reinstall before i got right

so your not alone

tho at the moment mine is disabled

i havent any one to fax.

and it takes up a lot of resources

when not in use

i read that in black viper.

tho black viper is off the air at the moment

wel i must go

hows things mike, hows the presendency going

happy crapping

marty

Edited by martymas

ugh, you feeble old pirate ! :pirate: it is not on my Office XP Pro CD !

I am going crazy now to figure this out. Odd you mention to check the Office CD as that was the last thing I installed on this machine.

any other thoughts ? ?

Hi Marty ! :matrix: black viper site is back up now too

It may either be finding hardware that's fax-enabled or is trying to run a setup program left over from ... something. Is there a fax-modem in there somewhere (whether or not it's ever been used, I don't know if cable modems have this ability but check that out)? Have you used a startup utility to uncheck unecessary startup programs?

It may either be finding hardware that's fax-enabled or is trying to run a setup program left over from ... something. Is there a fax-modem in there somewhere (whether or not it's ever been used, I don't know if cable modems have this ability but check that out)? Have you used a startup utility to uncheck unecessary startup programs?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I took all unecessary stuff out of the start up too. There is a dial up modem installed, so will look at the Control Panel options for that too.

The PC is not where I am now, so have to go over later and see what is up with some of these solutions.

• 2 weeks later...

Subject: Fixed Fax msi no valid source found

Tammy1949

I am posting this cause someone besides me had this problem and I hope the come back to this site and find their solution here.

This was the error:

I get this error 1706. No valid source could be found for product. The path c:\hp\\tmp\aio\setup\fax\Fax.msi cannot be found. Verify you have access to this location and try again or try to find the installation package "Fax.msi" in a folder from which you can install the product Fax.

This is the FIX:

I got this problem solved with that c:\hp\\tmp\aio\setup\fax\Fax.msi.

Go to the HP site http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/solutions.html then type in "gr_uninst.exe" without the quotes, in the search box on the top of the page.

Then click on the All-in-One Software Removal Utility (gr_uninst.exe) and download it to your desktop.

Open it and it will give you two install options. I used the first option.

Then after it installs there will be an icon on your desktop that says gr_uninst.exe. Just double click on it and run it. You will have to restart your computer after it is ran.

After you restart your computer this problem file will reappear, but the uninstall program will want to access the internet. Let it access the internet. The problem file should dissapear after this. You are finished and it should be gone.

You can delete that downloaded gr_uninst.exe file now.

Fax configuration

Sparky

I suggest you try going to Start/ control Panel/ Remove and Install/ third icon down on the left hand side of the screen and select Install and Remove Windows Programmes. Then remove the tick from "Fax Desk" if it is there and click OK.

If you decide you need the fax desk reverse the procedure and it will reactivate it.

Let me know how you go,eh?

Subject: Fixed Fax msi no valid source found
Tammy1949

I am posting this cause someone besides me had this problem and I hope the come back to this site and find their solution here.

This was the error:

I get this error 1706. No valid source could be found for product. The path c:\hp\\tmp\aio\setup\fax\Fax.msi cannot be found. Verify you have access to this location and try again or try to find the installation package "Fax.msi" in a folder from which you can install the product Fax.

This is the FIX:

I got this problem solved with that c:\hp\\tmp\aio\setup\fax\Fax.msi.

Go to the HP site http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/solutions.html then type in "gr_uninst.exe" without the quotes, in the search box on the top of the page.

Then click on the All-in-One Software Removal Utility (gr_uninst.exe) and download it to your desktop.

Open it and it will give you two install options. I used the first option.

Then after it installs there will be an icon on your desktop that says gr_uninst.exe. Just double click on it and run it. You will have to restart your computer after it is ran.

After you restart your computer this problem file will reappear, but the uninstall program will want to access the internet. Let it access the internet. The problem file should dissapear after this. You are finished and it should be gone.

You can delete that downloaded gr_uninst.exe file now.

Fax configuration

Sparky

I suggest you try going to Start/ control Panel/ Remove and Install/ third icon down on the left hand side of the screen and select Install and Remove Windows Programmes. Then remove the tick from "Fax Desk" if it is there and click OK.

If you decide you need the fax desk reverse the procedure and it will reactivate it.

Let me know how you go,eh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>