Plus most of the faster drives are relatively small the Western Digital 740GD Raptor is the fastest HD available but it only comes in 74GB.

at 190 buck for 150 bucks you can get a Maxtor Diamondback 10 with 300 GB. The modest gain in speed VS giant storage capacity.

Preston

Plus most of the faster drives are relatively small the Western Digital 740GD Raptor is the fastest HD available but it only comes in 74GB.

at 190 buck for 150 bucks you can get a Maxtor Diamondback 10 with 300 GB. The modest gain in speed VS giant storage capacity.

Preston

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The seagate cheetah is the fastest hard drive actually. 15,000 rpms. Their 147 gb model is 1200 bucks though lol.

Preston

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The seagate cheetah is the fastest hard drive actually. 15,000 rpms. Their 147 gb model is 1200 bucks though lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for correcting me. but the math still don't add up for performance to me.

Looks like it's one of those "trade-off" issues. I think you'll notice the difference since the hard drive is the main speed bottleneck on modern PCs. Anything you can do to decrease that bottleneck should be plainly visible.

Of course, it will only affect activities that require reads/writes to and from the hard drive. If you have enough RAM installed and depending on how you use your PC, the hard drive may not be accessed all that much (do you see the drive light flickering all the time?). Once a program is loaded it may not need to access the drive for quite some time, for example. Where's your speed gain then?

And as they've said above: You have to spend big-time to get a high capacity drive.

Only you know how you use your system, do you think you have enough drive accesses during your day to make a difference? In my case there are a few times throughout the day that require extensive drive access and I bet a faster drive would really, really help. But I don't wanna spend the money ...

I think the high rpm drives are a waste you might get a 0.5 second speed increase and there is a bigger chance of drive failures since its spinning alot faster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard many things about the Raptors, good things about them. They are very fast, significantly faster than 7200RPM, but are limited to only 74GB and have quite a price tag. My thoughts are to get it if you have the money; if you don't you can still settle for a large 7200RPM HD and still get quality.