Well, I'm finally deciding to get a UPS for my primary computer. Unfortunately, I don't know all that much about them. All I would need it to power is the computer itself and the monitor (15" CRT), no printers or other stuff. Based on the fact that my computer has a 420W power supply and the monitor is rated 70W, I am assuming I will need a UPS rated at least 490W, correct? Beyond that, what size/capacity would be the best for me? I'm not wanting one that'll allow me to continue working during a power outage, I just want to be given sufficient time to shut down my computer normally (Or have it automatically shut down if I'm not there when the power fails), such as 5-10 minutes.

I would appreciate any input before I venture further into this new realm.

Take a look at the APC UPS Sizing Tool.

APC is a well known and respected UPS manufacturer.

The numbers you see rating UPSs are Volt-Amps, not Watts.

An acceptable (with a margin for error) conversion factor is Watts = 60% VA. (officially it's around 80%).

So with a system drawing around 500W you want about an 800VA UPS.

But your power supply, while rated at 420W probably doesn't draw that much power, so I'd say a 750VA UPS would suit your needs.

I haven't shopped them, but a quick look puts them around $100.

Many of these units include a serial port and software that can be configured to automatically perform tasks and shutting down your computer when the power fails.

I have UPSs all over my house (we lose power briefly all the time where I live).

I have a 525VA unit that powers a 30 in television, TiVo, 2 modems, a wireless router, a video amp/switch, a DVD player and a VCR.

Now I'm not running all them at once but the UPS does power them for about 30 minutes during a power failure.

Edited by CurlingSteve