I have an older HP Pavilion laptop (See blue frame in my sig pic for specs). Lately I've been noticing that the screen flickers slightly. It's barely noticable, except when there is a lot of white on the screen (Then it gets really noticable). It does this regardless of whether I'm running off battery or AC power, and also regardless of whether it's sitting idle or working hard. Could this possibly mean the screen on my laptop is going bad? If so, is there any way I can delay its impending death until I am able to afford a new laptop?

Thanks ahead of time.

Even though there's no visible damage to the cable I suspect that's the source of the problem.

I have a Gateway Solo 9550XL that would "white-out" the screen unless the lid was positioned just right.

The only other thought that comes to mind is that the AC power brick isn't making solid contact and that the screen dims as the laptop momentarily switches to battery (to save power).

It could be the connector getting loose or a bit of corrosion on the contacts.

If you watch the power icon in the Notification tray and see it blink to battery in sync with the flashing, this would indicate that kind of problem.

The problem is that it also does it when it is running from battery, which rules out a problem with the AC adapter or connector. Also, I can have the screen in any position and not lose the image. The reason I worry it might be the backlight getting ready to croak is because the flickering quite closely resembles how fluorescent or neon tubes flicker when they're about to die.

Edited by Torin_Darkflight
Nope, the hinges are intact, and removing the cover doesn't show any damage to the cabling. The image itself is fine, it's just the backlight that is flickering.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Backlights are actually relatively easy to replace (and fairly cheap too).Replacments are readily availble and pretty cheap

As long as you don't mind opening the screen up and doing some pretty basic soldering you can replace a backlight without too much risk to the screen.

Keep in mind, if it happens across the entire screen it might not be the backlight. Most LCDs have two backlights, top and bottom. If flickering happens accross the entire screen about evenly, it may be the inverter or even the power it's being fed.

Inverters are still replaceable, and they're not very difficult from an instilation standpoint. But inverters are generally rather expensive (some upwards of $100), and they are designed for use with specific screens. Finding the right one can be difficult, especially in older laptops.

It's actually most noticable in the left half of the screen. So I'm assuming this means the left backlight is going out (Given this particular screen has them on the sides instead of the top/bottom).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Given that, yes. A bad backlight on the left side is my best guess.