my sony came with restore disks...the os is on a hidden partition but I can't remember how to acess the setup...anyway I had my own disk so I repartitioned the hard disk and got rid of the restore crap..computer manufacturers save about $90 by not giving you the disk but it is a good idea to buy your own.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how do you come up with that figure($90) my hp did not come with restore disks, just a restore patition. during my warrenty persiod they would send me the restore cds for free if I needed them, for example, a swapped harddrive. I could also get them after the warenty period for a nominal some.

I am not usually the type to argue, but $90 seems absurdly high. Even without a restore or a real windows oem disk, they still have to pay microsoft probably an equal some to install windows on your computer.

ya I see where you came up with that :-) , but the big manufactures still have to pay microsoft to install windows on your computer even if they do or do not give you a cd.

I would guess hp or dell, pay at least $70 per computer just to install the os on your system, with or without giving you a disc.

ya I see where you came up with that :-) , but the big manufactures still have to pay microsoft to install windows on your computer even if they do or do not give you a cd.

I would guess hp or dell, pay at least $70 per computer just to install the os on your system, with or without giving you a disc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i have dealt with this before.

HP, and Compaq i know for sure have what is a fat32 recovery partition.

it is a small part of the hard drive and to access it you hit F10during the boot up to enter te recovery program. which can reformat and reinstall XP and all of the software that came with the PC when it was new.

the reason for this is cost.

the manufactures use a multi licencing XP OEM version in which they get many keys for XP and use them on the ones they manufactured. they are not required to give you an XP install CD. i have talked to MS about this before.

they give either a set of recovery disks, something like 7 of them, or they put everything on a small partition on the hard drive and is only accessable thru boot up.

hi cherokeechief...good to see you posting here. do you have any idea how much is really saved by this multi license thingy? my sony vaio had a lot a lot of other stuff on it, like wordperfect, etc...my idea is that it is still better to buy a full version in case your hard drive does a deep six... but that's just me.

They shoud have a background on new oem's saying, "you have a cd burner but no XP CD. Now is the time to burn you first cd on your new machine.....Congratulations from <insert name>

M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that would work if people would do that but I know a couple of people that haven't done it...they think because their computer is new it's something they don't worry about.