A while back i found a registry tweak to make shutdown faster. scince then i have reformatted and cannot find the tweak or remember where i got it from, it may have been from kellys korner, but im not sure. anyhow, my shutdown really isnt a problem but its truely makes it noticibly faster, so i thought id put it on again and some others could put it on if they feel needed. but anyhow, does anyone know the tweak or know where i can find it?

A while back i found a registry tweak to make shutdown faster. scince then i have reformatted and cannot find the tweak or remember where i got it from, it may have been from kellys korner, but im not sure. anyhow, my shutdown really isnt a problem but its truely makes it noticibly faster, so i thought id put it on again and some others could put it on if they feel needed. but anyhow, does anyone know the tweak or know where i can find it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What OS?

One guess: Run MSCONFIG.EXE. On the General tab click the Advanced button. Uncheck 'Disable Fast Shutdown.' Reboot.

Note that fast shutdown has a slight risk of data loss or even file corruption if programs and utilities are not compatible with it.

<edit> Whoops, don't know if it applys to XP.

Edited by JDoors

Start,run, Regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control.

Click on the "Control" Folder.

Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"

Right click on it and select Modify.

Set it to a value lower than 2000, say 1000 as a test.

Edited by Schusterjo
thanks, Schusterjo. i knew it had something to do with te registry, but as JDoors said, is this way also able to have file curruption or data loss?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you shut down Windows XP, the OS tries its best to make sure that all services (they help run things like graphics, printers etc) are shut down. But there are times when they don't close, thus Windows XP tries to give it the chance to shut down itself. This amount of time that windows waits for the service to close is stored in the system registry. If you modify this setting, then windows will shut down the service earlier.

always a possibility when modifying to make it go faster, probability? not really as long you do not try to go down to a ridiculous number such as 500

1000 is a good number not to go under if you ask me thats basically 50% faster

thanks, Schusterjo. i knew it had something to do with te registry, but as JDoors said, is this way also able to have file curruption or data loss?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Possibly, after all, something which tells windows to wait while it saves data and settings, is not being given as long a time to finish its task before windows kills it outright.

So some things may be lost or corrupted by doing this.

In XP, shutdown is very important , because it saves your profile, all the settings and data related to your preferences and operation of your account to hive (.hiv) files which are used to build the new registry when you boot up next time. Corrupt one of them and you wind up with one of those " Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" style warnings you get when you can't build a registry since the hive files are damaged.

ok so i shouldnt do it then pete?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, you are the one who had to reinstall windows , right?

I wouldn't do something like this just to save a few seconds on shutdown time .

Yes, the windows default settings are conservative and there is some leeway before you will have problems, but why take the chance?

Like a lot of computer questions the answer is: It depends. :)

You may never run any programs, utilities or services that require extra time to shut down, or you may not have any that are at risk of losing information if they are forced to shut down earlier.

Try a conservative change and live with it for a while. If you're not aware of any problems and would like Windows to shut down even faster, give the setting a little tweak and go from there.

Since the registry entry has been identified it reminded me that many "tweak" programs automate this selection, you just choose the timeout and the program makes the registry changes for you.

You want a quick shutdown?

Here's a great tip:

Keep your power strip at hand or foot - and whenever you want to shut down flip the red switch off. I guarentee you won't lose ANY DATA, or wear down your hardware :lol:

Please - don't actually do this - if you do I'm going to send Tommy over to hit you in the head with a tack hammer because you're a freakin moron

lol, xxkbxx. ok i decided im not going to do it, like pete said, its not worth it for just a few seconds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The PC doesn't require you to wait for it to shut down. Just turn off the monitor and leave. If for some reason it doesn't shut down, it should hurt it.

Thanks Pete for your input, I never knew the basics of shut down.