I just got broadband at home and now suddenly, everytime I open and surf on the internet, my computer chimes at various intervals. It seems like everytime I go to a different page or if it opens a window, it chimes....it's quite annoying.

It only happens on my login, not my husbands. I had also installed McAfee Privacy service but I've uninstalled it now.

Can you help me and tell me where to turn this chime off? Someone said it could be spyware but I just used a program I downloaded after the chiming started and it didn't find anything.

By the way, I have an Inspiron 600m and it's running Windows XP.

Thanks...

~May

Edited by weightymay
I just got broadband at home and now suddenly, everytime I open and surf on the internet, my computer chimes at various intervals.  It seems like everytime I go to a different page or if it opens a window, it chimes....it's quite annoying. 

It only happens on my login, not my husbands.  I had also installed McAfee Privacy service but I've uninstalled it now.

Can you help me and tell me where to turn this chime off?  Someone said it could be spyware but I just used a program  I downloaded after the chiming started and it didn't find anything.

By the way, I have an Inspiron 600m and it's running Windows XP.

Thanks...

~May

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what's in startup? and is u'r sound scheme a default one?

i'd check all programs that start automatically for the chimer. mike lin's startup control panel should help here. google on 'mike lin' and u'll find it.

u can open u'r sound control panel and test each sound item to match u'r chime. that should give u some headway in determining what is causing it.

Is the chiming from the speakers, or internal? If it is internal, it is most likely a bios alert chime . Something to let you know that the processor is being clocked back to save power, or that things are overheating and thus are being clocked back to prevent heat buildup and damage.

You may want to monitor your temperatures with everest or a similar program.

You may also want to check the default alert levels set in the bios.

Of course, it could just be the "You've got mail" chime. Control panel/ sounds check the sounds associated with events , click preview to hear them. Then change the one you suspect, and if it changes the chime you hear, you know it is the source.

It may be something like Spybot notifying you that it blocked adware, spyware, or just a cookie from a third party site you never visited. It could be your firewall or antivirus alerting you. Check their settings.