Ok Iv been having this problem with windows corrupting files and then refusing to boot. I have reformated my computer 4 times in the past two weeks because it refuses to boot. It also is randomly corrupting files. I really dont know whats wrong or if its even windows fault. I have a homebuilt system with Windows XP Professional. I just installed SP2 on it. (the problam occurs even when i dont install SP2) I had a Partition on the same Hard Drive (wich i didnt delete until now to see if that was the problam). If you need anymore information just ask but I really need to fix it. School is starting soon and Ill need my computer.

Have to agree, random file corruption is a classic sign of a hard drive failing. ScanDisk (or whatever Windows disk tool you have) may be able to fix it if you run the "Full Scan" option (AKA "Surface Scan"), or you might try an aftermarket disk repair tool.

I have been using Nortons System Works utilities to constanly check and fix my Hard drive. chkdsk doenst work because it says that the F disk paramiter is not defined. It does find errors but i dont think it fixes any of em because when i run it again the same errors are found. My hard drive is new less then 6 months old. Either way Nortan keeps finding new errors every few day. I just reformated last night so nothing has popped up yet.

I have been using Nortons System Works utilities to constanly check and fix my Hard drive. chkdsk doenst work because it says that the F disk paramiter is not defined. It does find errors but i dont think it fixes any of em because when i run it again the same errors are found. My hard drive is new less then 6 months old. Either way Nortan keeps finding new errors every few day. I just reformated last night so nothing has popped up yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, that could be one problem. The way these "fixit" utilities work is that they have a database of the registry entries and dll files etc which known applications and windows updates etc install and where. When they scan your registry for "invalid entries" they compare what they find there to what they expect to find. They fix things by deleting anything they do not recognize. I strongly advise against using any of these on a regular basis or automatically. You run them when you have a known problem and carefully choose what you want it to delete.

"chkdsk doenst work because it says that the F disk"

This means that you need to boot to command prompt only (preferable method) or go to start / run and type cmd and hit enter

At the command prompt type

chkdsk /f

That tells it to fix what it finds.

Also, if you have XP, you should either use tweakui to disable the built in defrag which is based on diskkeeper, or disable norton speed disk; never use both.

The problem is that each defrag utility works with different algorythms , which determine how to sort files and what goes where. Speeddisk works like older versions of defrag, but XP uses a utility based on Diskkeeper technology which sorts not only by function, but by frequency of use'; and with NTFS format disks it can run in the background . Thus speed doctor moves stuf somewhere and diskkeeper tries moving it back and it can get lost in the shuffle.

But I agree that even though the disk is only six months old it could be bad. You should get the diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer and test it.

Also, make sure next time you reinstall that you repartition using the XP disk , not just choose format. Formatting does not give you a true clean install on an NTFS format.

The other probable cause is noise on the electric line to the wall outlet, or a failing power supply. Noise on the line may be transferred through the power supply , and a failing power supply can generate noise of its own. This can corrupt data and cause problems just as you describe.

If the drive is that new I would go to the manufacturers site, run their diagnostic software. If it finds anything then just ask for an RMA and get the drive replaced. I think most major drive makers offer like a 3 year warranty these days. I have had brand new drives D.O.A. so newness is really not a factor.....

Ok i used the seagate diagnostincs and it told me that one partition ( containing widows) passed with some incosistansies and that my other partiton failed ( its my backup with all my files). Above that it said that the harddrive failed. I cheked the report and found that it did not fix the four errors it found. So what should I do?

Is this the only way? This problem only occured after I reformated once.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well my friend from what you are telling us my guess is the drive is defective. I would do a total backup and then get a replacement drive from Seagate. It is not a big deal. You just call them, they ask you to run the diagnostic siftware and tell them what errors are reported. Then the give you an RMA# and you are good to go. If you have a credit card they will cross ship so you are only down a day at most....