i thought i should start a new thread in continuation with my first problem since this is now a different problem.

i was able to put win2000 on my drive C:

now my problem is fixing winxp on D:

i boot to win2000.

put the winxp CD

get to the point when i choose R and repair.

but when i get to D:> i dont know what to type in there

anybody knows?

thanks!

i can do a clean install,but right now,my other drivers are still missing and i need my hardwares badly,so i still opt to do a repair.

thansk again!

You can opt. to do an automatic repair of XP instead. When you get to the part where it ask if you want to install or do a repair. Click to install XP. Your disk will then start to install setup files. You will then come to a second window that will also ask if you want to install or do a repair of XP. At this point click to do the repair and it will automatically scan your system fixing and repairing any missing or corrupt files it finds. But remember, after any repair you will need your CD Key and might need to update security updates that may get removed during the repair process.

The first repair option you come to it a prompt type of repair. To learn more. Goto

Recover Console

Sorry missed a part!!

If your booting into Win2000, aren't you running in Drive C?

I believe you need to reboot off the CD and then chose drive D. (which has XP installed on it). And then follow my advice to do an automatic repair. Otherwise it's called a dirty install, trying to repair windows, while in windows.

hey ghorjus

what is the matter with you and i this used to be routine for us once .

ive just helped a friend who tried to install sp2 and ended up running out of hdd

and caused all sorts of problems.

i cleaned up for them and get back a bit of space.but im afraid a bigger hdd is needed

marty

Sorry missed a part!!

If your booting into Win2000, aren't you running in Drive C?

I believe you need to reboot off the CD and then chose drive D. (which has XP installed on it). And then follow my advice to do an automatic repair. Otherwise it's called a dirty install, trying to repair windows, while in windows.

now i get it!

yup this is a dirty install.

i guess thats why im having problems repairing it.

im trying to repair while i was in win2000.

try to do it and boot in the CD.

post back as soon as i get the chance to try it.

thanks!

hey ghorjus

what is the matter with you and i this used to be routine for us once .

ive just helped a friend who tried to install sp2 and ended up running out of hdd

and caused all sorts of problems.

i cleaned up for them and get back a bit of space.but im afraid a bigger hdd is needed

marty

im not sure marty.

i guess not having a single computer problem for a long time rusted my techie side of the brain!

right now im using a laptop given to me.

since this is my first time to own one,

expect me to post so many questions about this laptop.

right now im trying to bang my head off the wall trying to remember how i made all the tweaks i made in my desktop PC with XP.

the other day,someone approached me asking me to teach him to do a clean install - everything starting from booting to floppy up to last part.

i gladly said OK,

but when i got the pen and was almost about to start,

i cant believe that i was stunned!

i was almost out of words.

i knew how to do it becoz ive been it often before.

i guess its different trying to teach someone compared to actually doing it in the computer.

well,im glad to be back and relearning all these stuffs!