My Fat32 Partition Is Almost Full

can you move programmes from fat32 to ntfs. I have no trouble storing photos there, but thats all. I am running windows xp home which was an upgrade from win 98. 60 gig was added as ntfs drive in addition to the existing 10 gig of fat32.

any suggestions for what i hope is a simple procedure.

regards mark

Moving programs (applications) from one location to another is generally a tricky thing to do.

The issue isn't FAT32 vs NTFS, but that most applications don't store all their pieces in one location.

Most store the bulk of their pieces in a folder under C:\Program Files.

Many will also add DLLs in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

And there are usually several Registry entries that would need to be adjusted.

But you should be able to install any new applications to the NTFS drive and they will operate properly.

To free up space on the FAT32 drive used by current applications, my best recommendation would be to uninstall an application, then reinstall it to a folder on the NTFS drive.

Many applications will let you export/backup your current settings so they can be imported/restored after the reinstall.

That way you don't have to do all those adjustments over again.

For those that don't support exporting settings, you can usually spot a configuration (.CFG) or initialization (.INI) file you can copy over.

Edited by CurlingSteve

Not being a wise ass but I think I would just get another larger drive and use the software that comes with it to copy your old drive to the new one. 10gig is not much space for XP. Of course I know this costs $$$ but drives are getting so cheap anymore........

can you move programmes from fat32 to ntfs. I have no trouble storing photos there, but thats all. I am running windows xp home which was an upgrade from win 98. 60 gig was added as ntfs drive in addition to the existing 10 gig of fat32.

any suggestions for what i hope is a simple procedure.

regards mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah if you have some money buy a 3.5 inch drive and get an enclosure,

format your new drive take your old one and copy things over

usually if you do not have multiple partitions on one drive you can move fat32 to ntfs

Although there are some programs which are supposed to be able to find all the paths and dependencies and registry entries and correct things ; such as mcafee uninstaller; you cannot just copy and paste the programs program files folder since there are all these other components which expect it to be there.

The simplest and cheapest solution is to uninstall the program , after you have backed up (copied) any data and settings . Choose to leave stuff when it asks if you want to remove additional components. Reboot and reinstall the program, but choose the custom install where you can specify a location. (But first create a program files folder on the other drive/ partition)

Although there are some programs which are supposed to be able to find all the paths and dependencies and registry entries and correct things ; such as mcafee uninstaller; you cannot just copy and paste the programs program files folder since there are all these other components which expect it to be there.

The simplest and cheapest solution is to uninstall the program , after you have backed up (copied) any data and settings . Choose to leave stuff when it asks if you want to remove additional components.  Reboot and reinstall the program, but choose the custom install where you can specify a location. (But first create a program files folder on the other drive/ partition)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thakyou Pete 2

It seems this is the best solution.

I can stop moving the short cuts around and take a litle time to do some housecleaning

REGARDS MARKP