Linux For Nebie Help

Hey all, im 16 and for most of my life had onlt had a computer that my parents had (i.e a shared computer) now i got a free laptop runnnig windows XP and have deicded after about 6 months of using it now that i will give Linux a Shot. I have never dabled in Linux or any other OS, i have a pretty good knowlege of computers and most things tech (fingers crossed for any job a G4 when older) but i wanted to know what should i do to get linux up and running, im gonna need to dual boot becouse i have alot of MS only applications im gonna need to run (mostly games) so how do i do this???

Thanks alot guys and i hope to be around the boards alot more

please note i dont have a huge hardrive i got like 3 gigs left :(

Also i heard u need to have a burner from some one? Is this true cause i dont have one.

Well, for start out, I think I can help a bit :D.

To start off, linux is actually a kernal of an operating system, and since its open source, people have make different versions of operating systems based on the same linux kernal. These different versions are called distributions, or distros. Probably the hardest decision I had when I began linux was choosing a distro :D. There are many out there, but you can look through almost all of them at www.distrowatch.com. Also, I liked (and heard approvals from others who used it) a little quiz found here: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/. It basically asks you different questions and gives you which distro it thinks you should try first based on your answers. Whatever you try, good luck.

Unfortunately, to do this at home, you will need a burner to burn the installation CD (at least for more robust OSes). If you have a USB key thats 50MB or bigger, you can try Puppy Linux or DS Linux (both Puppy and DS Linux can boot off a USB drive). Those are just some options for you if you don't have a burner, but unfortunately to really immerse yourself in the linux world you will have to obtain a CD. Try going to a local PC store or to a friends house and ask them to help you!

Whatever you try, good luck! Its a lot of fun...

Hey all, im 16 and for most of my life had onlt had a computer that my parents had (i.e a shared computer) now i got a free laptop runnnig windows XP and have deicded after about 6 months of using it now that i will give Linux a Shot. I have never dabled in Linux or any other OS, i have a pretty good knowlege of computers and most things tech (fingers crossed for any job a G4 when older) but i wanted to know what should i do to get linux up and running, im gonna need to dual boot becouse i have alot of MS only applications im gonna need to run (mostly games) so how do i do this???

Thanks alot guys and i hope to be around the boards alot more

please note i dont have a huge hardrive i got like 3 gigs left  :(

Also i heard u need to have a burner from some one? Is this true cause i dont have one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These links helped me, so I am passing them on:

Distro Watch Top !0

Known Distros

My current fav is Ubuntu or KUbuntu. You can run it off of the CD if you don't have the space.

BH