I just last week purchased a hp pavilion computer and tried to clone the hard drive with norton ghost 2003. This turned out to be one big mistake since this caused the computer to lockup. I got this message " internal stack overflow, system halted". A call to hp support was fruitless as everything they had me try did not work including being unable to access the built in system recovery program. They told me that ghost was not compatible with the hp system and this caused the problem. In the meantime they will send me a system restore disk but that will take some time.

The new computer came with xp home. I am currently using my old compaq computer. Does anyone on this board have any ideas as to how I can undo this mistake and get the computer back to operating condition?

Quick action is to simply use the disks that come with the computer and re-install the operating system and not to "re-do" the same thing again

Other things you can try is

open up run ->

type in -> sfc /scannow

this will return all windows system files back to their original state (this is assuming you have the windows xp home disk, and you can actually boot into windows, if you cant try safemode (press f8 on startup)).

Pierce

I just last week purchased a hp pavilion computer and tried to clone the hard drive with norton ghost 2003. This turned out to be one big mistake since this caused the computer to lockup.  I got this message " internal stack overflow, system halted". A call to hp support was fruitless as everything they had me try did not work including being unable to access the built in system recovery program.  They told me that ghost was not compatible with the hp system and this caused the problem. In the meantime they will send me a system restore disk but that will take some time.

The new computer came with xp home. I am currently using my old compaq computer. Does anyone on this board have any ideas as to how I can undo this mistake and get the computer back to operating condition?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have any of the XP disks? Or are you stuck with the recovery partition?

Did you remove the hard drive you were trying to clone to?

Did you try to ghost from within windows or from a boot to the ghosts CD?

What do you see when you boot to the ghost cd? can it recognize what is on the drive?