The Outline is a 90s site design built with today’s technologies

Yesterday, Joshua Topolsky’s new brain child, The Outline launched to the world. You’re likely familiar with Topolsky’s work, he was at Engadget prior to co-founding The Verge and then had a short stint at Bloomberg. Oh and he’s also made some appearances on Jimmy Fallon. Anyway, his new site launched yesterday so I took a second to check it out.

According to Topolsky’s welcome post, The Outline is “a new kind of publication for a new kind of human.” I’m not exactly sure what that means, but let’s roll with it for now.

Immediately after visiting the site, I felt a great amount of 90s nostalgia wash over me and it seems I’m not alone with that sentiment. Some tweets below (including one from yours truly).

the-outline-90s

A screenshot of part of The Outline homepage.

Anyone feel like the @outline site is like a 90s design built with today’s technologies? And I don’t mean that in a bad way.

— Jeff Weisbein (@jeffweisbein) December 5, 2016

The Outline makes me feel like the 90s threw up on my iPad. Be interesting to see if Snapchat meets news really works. pic.twitter.com/dPZK381TV4

— Danny Sullivan (@dannysullivan) December 5, 2016

Oh man, this is like Raygun or Wired magazine in the 90s when nobody could read anything “The Outline” https://t.co/DzWD58Rlve

— Les Orchard ❄️☃

</div>

<div class='ipsItemControls'>

<ul class='ipsComment_controls ipsClearfix ipsItemControls_left' data-role=