well it seems that I may be looking for another distro. wiht my Ubuntu I can hear sounds on the web, and play cd's or watch movies, but my system sounds dont' work. what a bummer, done everything I can try with it. no good, tried alsa and OSS, neither recognized my sound card properly for system sounds. been like this for a couple of months and it finally got to me, i hate the silence. plus it screws up my system when some when gaming. espcially when playing a game where the sound is a good sign of trouble lol.

Appearantly ubuntu doesn't like my onboard sound card, and I don't have the funds to go buy a different card at the moment.

if anyone knows a way to fix this that would be great, here are my sound card specs.

Creative CT5880 Sound card

using the Via AC '97 sound driver on both Windows and Linux OS's

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would prefer to stay with ubuntu since I have it set up the way I want it. I hate having to reinstall crap.

I am not very knowledgable in this area, i usually leave my system sounds off(my kids already make enough noise). in gnome there is an option to turn on sound server and system sounds(under desktop preferences), have you already done that? I am guessing system sounds are controlled by your WM, you may have better luck with kde. Sorry i do not have much to offer.

I am not very knowledgable in this area, i usually leave my system sounds off(my kids already make enough noise). in gnome there is an option to turn on sound server and system sounds(under desktop preferences), have you already done that? I am guessing system sounds are controlled by your WM, you may have better luck with kde. Sorry i do not have much to offer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To add to what shanenin said Ubuntu mutes your sound on start-up. I know you've already probably done the following. Click on Applications------------->Sound & Video------->Volume Control.

Then mess around with the settings, also click on the speaker icon in the upper right corner of your Ubuntu desktop. Good luck with this Efwis :D

To add to what shanenin said Ubuntu mutes your sound on start-up

Heya hitest,

I haven't seen this problem after multiple installs on several different PCs...Has this happened on all your installs?

Efwis,

Since I have less knowledge of linux than hitest and shanenin, not sure that I can come up with anything for a solution.

The only thing I can think of is maybe PCM is muted in alsa...I think you'd still be able to watch movies and play CDs with that muted.

I'd try opening "alsamixer" in terminal and see if anything is muted (MM on the sliders)...If there is anything muted, use the arrow keys to select that one and unmute using "m" key

hope ya' get it working

To add to what shanenin said Ubuntu mutes your sound on start-up

Heya hitest,

I haven't seen this problem after multiple installs on several different PCs...Has this happened on all your installs?

Efwis,

Since I have less knowledge of linux than hitest and shanenin, not sure that I can come up with anything for a solution.

The only thing I can think of is maybe PCM is muted in alsa...I think you'd still be able to watch movies and play CDs with that muted.

I'd try opening "alsamixer" in terminal and see if anything is muted (MM on the sliders)...If there is anything muted, use the arrow keys to select that one and unmute using "m" key

hope ya' get it working

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I mean by muted is that the sound is turned down a bit by default I think as a safety precaution.

Good idea about the alsa mixer settings, tictoc :thumbsup: