Not sure if this should be posted here or under Windows Support. If I'm posting in the wrong area, I apologise!!

Well, something has changed and now I can't play any of my games.

I have pretty well narrowed it down to a conflict with DirectX and/or drivers.

My system is Athalon 2500+ (1.8 Ghz) with 512 RAM and nVidea 5200 board with 128MG RAM on board.

All of sudden, my games wouldn't boot and run and I tried everything I could think of to get things running again including Reformat and reinstalling everything.

I have tried running dxdiag.exe and it hung up the first time so I restarted everything and then it would ask if I wanted to skip loading the DirecX stuff because it didn't finish last time and I said yes. Then when you look at the Display tab, it shows that Direct3D is now disabled and it will hang up if I try to test the directdraw, too.

I have the most recent DirectX installed version 9c and I also have the most recent nVidea drives installed as well.

This is SO frustrating. Has anybody else had problems like this and what did you do to solve the problem???

Well, it's kind of unusual that I would figure out this problem by myself but I did it.

It turns out that after the reinstall, the motherboard utilities disk was installing a driver that caused a MAJOR conflict and after thinking about this, I cleaned off the HD and did ANOTHER reinstall (I've done so many that I almost have the product key memorized!)

After this last install, the ONLY driver that I let the motherboard utilities CD install was the one to get the onboard soundcard working.

Now everything checks out fine.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

I hope somebody can learn from MY mistakes!!