I gust got a wireless router and decided to to hook one computer to the router with the ethernet line and the other one with a PC wireless card. The one with the wireless card is downstairs and the ethernet one is upstairs. The wireless one connects but I can't go to site most of the time, The microwave is off and so is the cordless phone what can be affecting it? I have an SMC Barricade G router and Trendy PC wireless card and XP on both computers.

well, i think this is most probably caused by the routers range; meaning, your internet doesn't go that far. I had the same problem with a computer at home, i had to make a few alterations and it worked. My suggestion is to move the router closer while keeping the first computer connected through ethernet. or, consider buying larger antennas (which are quite expensive). You could always make makeshift amplifiers (which may work for u), like here, but beware that this may upset neighbors if you make your connection too strong.

I am probably totally wrong, but I think I remember a Screen Savers Show where Patrick attached good 'ol tin foil to the routers antenna to make a stronger connection??? Didn't pay much attention because we don't have wireless at my house but I do remember laughing at the idea, especially because it worked!! Don't try this until someone who remembers the episode chimes in......Liz

You could do a search for wifi antennas to increase the distance of the radio, but in your caase it sounds like you should look into the wireless card. Is it "built in". What is the capabilities?

Also if the antena is detachable....... you could fabricate a jumper(s) so the antenas could be seperated to different areas closer to the area where you are going wireless.

What is the floor/ceiling structure made of? This would block the 2.4 gHz signal.

If you use the wireless machine upstairs mostly wire the router to the upstairs area with the downstairs machine connected via wire.

M

It is a built in card and it's capabilities is 54 mbs like the SMC router.

The ceiling and floor are made of wood and drywall.

I'll just go and buy the other wireless card it's a D-Link this one is too much of a hassle.

P.S. I just brought the woreless computer upstairs and it's about 5' from the router and it still won't connet.

Well I finally got it working and it;s great. But I want the wireless computer to have a limited bandwidth. Maybe about 10 or 12 kb/s, I want that computer's internet to be really slow is there a way I can do that?

Ok I got the bandwidth working towards my favour, thx for posting you replys

• 2 months later...

I wonder what would happen if you just rolled out the whole aluminum foil roll around on the floor....

Actually which might be illegel... As I think making antennas and using them in the US without consent from the FCC...

lol careful ;)