hi team have a read of this article .

i know this atiicle has been circulated around the tech magazines .

as i dont use firefox mozzilla or open source

i can only vouch for IE so you have draw your own conclusions.

happy reading.

marty

try here\

this is the man who posted this article.

For an industry built on logic--- at their deepest level, computers are logic circuits--- blatant illogic somehow manages to cloud many issues.

Take FireFox http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ , for example, a very nice browser from Mozilla.Org http://www.mozilla.org/ . It's free, Open Source, and the result of literally years of development. It's also a cross-platform application, available for Windows, Mac, and Linux--- a huge plus in computationally diverse environments because the configuration and training/learning curve is basically the same, no matter what platform the browser's installed on. Its human language support also is extensive, with versions in everything from Afrikaans to Welsh. No question: it's impressive software.

Some also like it simply because it's not from Microsoft. I think this approach has some merit: Whenever Microsoft loses serious competition in any software category, it grows complacent, and the pace of innovation slackens. IE6, for example, came out in 2001; an eternity ago, in computing terms. Except for a boatload of security updates and patches, it's still basically the same browser it was then.

But, US-CERT (United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team), a partnership between the Department of Homeland Security and the public and private sectors that impartially tracks all manner of security issues in operating systems and major applications, shows that the list of IE's current vulnerabilities is shorter than those for FireFox, Mozilla, and the other alternate browsers. Likewise, it also lists fewer Windows' vulnerabilities than for the other OSes.

The last time I mentioned a similar US-CERT finding, by the way, Linux partisans leapt up to tell me that US-CERT didn't know what it was doing. Linux *couldn't* have more security flaws than Windows! Everyone *knows* that Open Source software is so much better than anything from Microsoft--- right?

Well, to the dismay the more rabid anti-Microsoft partisans, reports from other independent observers corroborated CERT's findings.

For example, between July 1 and December 31, 2004, Symantec documented 13 serious vulnerabilities affecting Microsoft Internet Explorer, but found 21 vulnerabilities affecting each of the Mozilla-based browsers.

But don't take my word for it--- read the reports for yourself, see the methodologies for yourself, and decide for yourself: The article posted now (free!) at http://www.informationweek.com/stor...cleID=160900911 has all the details and links you'll need.

I wrote that article to try to help readers interested in FireFox in particular and Open Source in general to make an informed decision. There are many, many excellent, proven, objective benefits to switching to Open Source software--- but there's also a lot of misinformation, and some very, very *bad* reasons to switch.

For example, the "common knowledge" that FireFox is "more secure than IE" simply is false. Switching to FireFox for that particular reason--- in the belief that you'll magically and automatically be more secure--- is just plain wrong.

But again, don't trust me, or any third party: Come see the source material for yourself, and make up your own mind. It'll only take a few minutes, and one way or the other--- whether you agree or disagree with me--- you'll have the facts at hand, and so can make an informed judgment, rather than one based on "common knowledge."

Click on over to

http://www.informationweek.com/stor...cleID=160900911 !

yo keith hows tricks .

yes i get sick of those p----s pirating the threads with their firefox properganda .

if they like it keep it to them selves.

i started a thread about .

modems. some p-----k.

came to the thread and said

why dont you change to firefox.

which didnt have any thing to do with modems.

the guy is a troll at g4.

i nearly blew a valve .

im happy with IE and i have it pinging along nicely.

i dont get spyware, virus ,or any of that sh-----t.

because i have my sys.

tweaked so i dont get that stuff .

no wonder mozilla has 9 percent of the browser

take. it is jammed down our throats.

tho 9 percent is alot different to 90 percent .

of IE users.

if they like it well and good

they wont change my mind.god i nearly swore then

marty

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the good read! When I was shopping for my first idiot box, I really wanted an Apple because it was easier to use than Windows. But at the time, many applications were formatted for Windows only, so I went with Windows and slowly am getting accustomed to it :blink:

I agree with you concerning Firefox--if a Firefox user politely suggests it as an alternative to Windows Bugginess to HELP someone, great! But so many trolls see Firefox as the only system to use, no matter what (like your modem problem). And to a tech noobie, Firefox is not user friendly!

The problem I see with folks "poking holes" in Firefox is simply human nature. A curious person starts messing around with a system to see what its capable of and finds a flaw. So many people are using Firefox now that a lot of folks are doing this. I figure hopefully a better product will come out of these experiments, whether it be Windows, Apple, Firefox or whatever. Aggravating to the user, but thats how improvements and new inventions come about. Man will always try to build a better mousetrap! :) Liz

OOCH! careful with those mouse traps blim ;):)

what's sad to me is that no matter how secure you think your computer is if a hacker specifically wanted something on it he or she can still get it. as long as it's hooked to the net they can get in. FireFox is no more secure than IE, it just makes it a little harder cause you need a different set of tools, that's all.

I definitely agree with Mac. Who's to say that the Creator isn't also the Cracker though? I actually think IE and FireFox compliment each other if you keep both up-to-date. Makes browsing safer and less garbage on your machine. I use IE for some sites and then FF for others because of the IE trash they keep on them...but IMO they actually make browsing more fun bouncing back and forth between then, as well as your website visits.....keeps ya on your toe's.